Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Incompatible iPad?

I read, on MacRumors, that with iOS 14 the iPad Air 2 may not be supported in iPadOS. What does this actually mean? Is incompatible the same as obsolete? Thanks.

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi

Posted on Mar 31, 2020 5:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2020 6:35 AM

Under the Acceptable Use rules that govern participation within these Support Communities, we cannot speculate as to future products or updates - so the following response is appropriately limited.

Whilst device compatibility requirements for iOS/iPadOS14 have not, to my knowledge, been publicly disclosed by Apple (therefore you are responding to third-party speculation) - “not supported” simply indicates that a device would not be able to be updated to a newer version of iOS/iPadOS. Devices and embedded features are not necessarily obsolete at that time, however, update support by Apple will have formally ended.

Devices that are out of formal support will continue to operate, but any new or enhanced features within System Software updates and Apps may not be backwards compatible with earlier devices.

Incompatible does not imply that a device is obsolete. Older devices can generally be expected to provide useful service well beyond the end of any formal update support.

Whilst we cannot speculate as to specific devices that may, or may not, be compatible with future software updates, I hope this is seen to be helpful in providing some clarity in context of your broader question.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2020 6:35 AM in response to Duncan314

Under the Acceptable Use rules that govern participation within these Support Communities, we cannot speculate as to future products or updates - so the following response is appropriately limited.

Whilst device compatibility requirements for iOS/iPadOS14 have not, to my knowledge, been publicly disclosed by Apple (therefore you are responding to third-party speculation) - “not supported” simply indicates that a device would not be able to be updated to a newer version of iOS/iPadOS. Devices and embedded features are not necessarily obsolete at that time, however, update support by Apple will have formally ended.

Devices that are out of formal support will continue to operate, but any new or enhanced features within System Software updates and Apps may not be backwards compatible with earlier devices.

Incompatible does not imply that a device is obsolete. Older devices can generally be expected to provide useful service well beyond the end of any formal update support.

Whilst we cannot speculate as to specific devices that may, or may not, be compatible with future software updates, I hope this is seen to be helpful in providing some clarity in context of your broader question.

Mar 31, 2020 7:11 AM in response to Duncan314

That’s an entirely different question, but consider this.

Most Banking Apps have minimum system requirements - below which the App cannot be installed or used. Whilst most financial institutions insist that devices are kept up to date - with appropriate precautions taken to avoid fraud - actual App compatibility will determine and may be set expectation of your bank’s minimum requirement in regard to “currency” of the device(s) and Apps used to access your accounts.

All Apps in the Apple App store indicate their system requirements - so this will allow you to research your needs in context of a “banking” App.

That said, it is in your best interest to use a device that benefits from product and security updates. This might, of itself, inform your own device replacement lifecycle and strategy. It follows that in purchasing a “current” device model, it will give the longest service life before App-compatibility forces replacement of a device.

Consider also that if you do experience fraud as the result of electronic access to your account, you are on safer ground to argue a case with your banking institution if you use a device/computer/product that has active update support by the manufacturer.

If any doubt, you might be well advised to contact your banking institutions for definitive advice as to their expectations.

I hope this provides additional and helpful food for thought.

Mar 31, 2020 7:27 AM in response to Duncan314

I’m delighted that I could help. When it comes to protecting your finances, I would recommend prudence in ensuring that you only access accounts from devices that are trusted - and insofar as is possible, kept patched and up-to-date.

It follows that where devices (or Operating Systems - such as MS Windows computers) allow use of Anti-Virus or other anti-malware software, this should also be observed. Where no such software exists (e.g., Apple devices), you should be ultra cautious to maintain appropriate safeguards.

Incompatible iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.