Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dead Mac - Can I do a partial restore from a Time Machine backup (external drive)?

My old friend (2013 MacBook Pro) finally gave up the ghost. Fortunately, I did a full backup to an external HD about a week before it died.

Already ordered a new MacBook Pro which will arrive tomorrow. My question is: Can I do a PARTIAL restore to the new computer? I don't want the old OS or all of the "junk" files which accumulate over time. I would like to selectively restore certain applications & their related data files, images, etc. - but want to select what to restore.

Is this possible? I certainly hope so; if not, I may have backed up an entire HD to an external drive and not really be able to keep what I want/need.

Thank you...

Kurt E.

Posted on Mar 31, 2020 1:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2020 4:34 PM

Good afternoon Kurt_Eaton,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand you purchased a new MacBook Pro to replace your 2013 model. One of the options that you have is to initially set up this computer as new. If you had iCloud enabled for contacts, calendars, etc. then this data will be synced to your new Mac when you enable the features again in Settings.

Once the iCloud has synced, you can use Migration Assistant to transfer your files (will have to transfer all, and delete what you don't want), and you can choose to redownload only the apps you want from your purchases in the App Store.

Take a look at the resources below for help with this:

Set up your new Mac

Change your iCloud feature settings

How to move your content to a new Mac

Redownload apps, music, movies, TV shows, and books

Take care.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2020 4:34 PM in response to Kurt_Eaton

Good afternoon Kurt_Eaton,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand you purchased a new MacBook Pro to replace your 2013 model. One of the options that you have is to initially set up this computer as new. If you had iCloud enabled for contacts, calendars, etc. then this data will be synced to your new Mac when you enable the features again in Settings.

Once the iCloud has synced, you can use Migration Assistant to transfer your files (will have to transfer all, and delete what you don't want), and you can choose to redownload only the apps you want from your purchases in the App Store.

Take a look at the resources below for help with this:

Set up your new Mac

Change your iCloud feature settings

How to move your content to a new Mac

Redownload apps, music, movies, TV shows, and books

Take care.

Apr 2, 2020 7:53 PM in response to Kurt_Eaton

Hi Kurt,

I'm glad you were able to get your new MacBook Pro set up. I suggested just transferring your data, not your apps, so that you did have control of what you put on the new Mac. Once you have everything the way you want it, I would suggest starting a fresh, new Time Machine backup on a new external drive.

Back up your Mac with Time Machine

Enjoy your day!

Dead Mac - Can I do a partial restore from a Time Machine backup (external drive)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.