Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie will not import whole video

I want to make a really short video for one of my students (distance learning). I did a screen record on my iPad and did the audio recording on my iPhone (it was just easier for me that way). Because all my devices are synced they both appeared in full length on my MacBook pro. However, when I tried to upload them to iMovie, the audio uploaded fine, but the video is missing a lot footage:

Compare that time to the original clip:

I even tried to import it as an .mov file:

I tried doing iMovie on my iPad, same problem, I checked to ensure that everything was up-to-date, the frame rate I think is fine as is, I've opened and closed iMovie several times.

Can someone please help me? This was supposed to be a 2min job and it's become a little bit of a nightmare!

Thanks!

Katie

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 31, 2020 5:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2020 5:51 PM

Hi Rich,

Thanks so much for your speedy response! Yes, I had tried the first one, and even went through both the original clip and the imported one through iMovie to see that they were indeed different from each other.

I deleted the current project and made a new one. The problem is still happening in the new project.

Thanks for your help!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2020 5:51 PM in response to Rich839

Hi Rich,

Thanks so much for your speedy response! Yes, I had tried the first one, and even went through both the original clip and the imported one through iMovie to see that they were indeed different from each other.

I deleted the current project and made a new one. The problem is still happening in the new project.

Thanks for your help!

Mar 31, 2020 6:08 PM in response to katiejanen

Try resetting your preferences. Open iMovie while holding down the option and command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new blank library. Reopen your old library to get aback to your project. See if that makes a difference.

To cover the bases, check that you have sufficient free space on your drive to receive the movie.

Another thing you could do is open the video clip in QuickTimePlayer and re-export it, and then see if the re-exported movie will play all the way through when imported into iMovie.

You could also try re-importing the clip from your iPad.

-- Rich

Mar 31, 2020 5:44 PM in response to katiejanen

Hi, Katie,

Have you tried to play the project and confirmed that the video actually plays shorter, rather than just the clip display being shorter? Have you tried putting your cursor on the right hand edge of the video clip and, while pressing down, dragging the edge to the right to extend out the video to its full length?

If the above doesn't solve it, try creating another project and importing the clips into it. Then see if the video plays in its entirety.

-- Rich

iMovie will not import whole video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.