Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie 10.2.1 - This item cannot be shared while it is still referencing media on the camera.

Hi,

I am using iMovie 10.2.1 and completed a TON of edits on a project and went to export it and one 18 minute long screen recording from my iPhone's screen has a little camera symbol on the media indicating it did not completely import I guess.

I found a trick on the web where you select all your clips in the timeline and use edit->cut, then delete the missing clip from your event media and re-import it from your iPhone, then use edit->paste to restore all your edits, BUT when I do the re-import, the re-imported screen recording off my iPhone still shows up with the little camera symbol.

I've tried importing that clip into Photos and using it from there but it's not associated with the edits I made, it's just a new media file.

I tried exporting that clip from Photos to my Downloads folder and importing it from there but it's not associated with the edits, it's just a new media file.

I tried re-starting iMovie.

I tried re-starting my iMac.

Apparently you used to be able to export your movie using Theater but that no longer is an option.

Before I start all over again... does anyone have any idea how I can get my clip imported properly from my iPhone?

Thanks in advance,

Brad

Posted on Dec 6, 2020 6:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2020 9:28 AM

I use AirDrop to import from my phone into my Mac's Downloads folder. Never had a problem. If AirDrop is not importing it right you can try using a wire connection between phone and Mac.

As you mention, the little camera icon appears when the import has not been fully completed and the camera or phone is still connected to the computer. The traditional cure has been to wait patiently for the import to fully complete, and then shut off and disconnect the camera.

When you select the camera icon clip, and do a File/Reveal in Finder, does the clip display in the Original Media folder that pops up? If so, maybe it has actually imported. You could try exporting the project and see what happens.

-- Rich

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2020 9:28 AM in response to mtbikexcski

I use AirDrop to import from my phone into my Mac's Downloads folder. Never had a problem. If AirDrop is not importing it right you can try using a wire connection between phone and Mac.

As you mention, the little camera icon appears when the import has not been fully completed and the camera or phone is still connected to the computer. The traditional cure has been to wait patiently for the import to fully complete, and then shut off and disconnect the camera.

When you select the camera icon clip, and do a File/Reveal in Finder, does the clip display in the Original Media folder that pops up? If so, maybe it has actually imported. You could try exporting the project and see what happens.

-- Rich

iMovie 10.2.1 - This item cannot be shared while it is still referencing media on the camera.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.