Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Want to delete iMessages saved on iPad, but NOT delete from iPhone

I’m still having this issue after following the thread. I want to delete all the saved iMessages on my iPad, but not delete them from my iphone.

I have tried: 

1. Settings > Messages> Send & Receive > Sign out of your Apple ID.

2. Checked iPad Storage [Settings>General>iPhone Storage>Messages]. it still shows 3.51 GB in Messages (Saved). There is no list of items for me to delete here.

If I go to the iMessage app, I can see the iMessages in the background but I cannot delete anything. It wants me to sign back in with my apple ID. If I were to sign back into my appleID and then delete the messages from my app, then that would delete the messages from iphone, right?

3. Also I tried resetting the device [Hold down the Home and Power buttons].

I’m on an older ipad, Version 10.3.3

Posted on Mar 31, 2020 11:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2020 4:36 AM

1) Log-in to iCloud.

2) Amend your iCloud Settings on your iPad (and optionally on your iPhone if you don’t want to keep messages in iCloud):

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > iCloud > Messages - set to OFF

3) Delete unwanted Messages from your iPad:

From the Messages window, touch the message that you wish to delete - and swipe to the left to reveal the red Delete button; tap the Delete button - and the local copy of the message will be deleted from your iPad.

I hope these instructions are helpful in resolving your requirement.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2020 4:36 AM in response to Thejonesplaace

1) Log-in to iCloud.

2) Amend your iCloud Settings on your iPad (and optionally on your iPhone if you don’t want to keep messages in iCloud):

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > iCloud > Messages - set to OFF

3) Delete unwanted Messages from your iPad:

From the Messages window, touch the message that you wish to delete - and swipe to the left to reveal the red Delete button; tap the Delete button - and the local copy of the message will be deleted from your iPad.

I hope these instructions are helpful in resolving your requirement.

Want to delete iMessages saved on iPad, but NOT delete from iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.