Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Delete iMessages from iPad

I have an iPhone 14, the newest MacBook Air; my iPad is about 3 or 4 years old. I have all the settings on all my devices set for iMessages. I can delete messages from either my mac and iPhone, and the messages will get deleted everywhere. But when I delete the message from my iPad, it doesn't get deleted from either my Mac or iPhone. I have logged off my iPad and rebooted it to no avail. Does anyone have a solution?

Thx.

Posted on Jul 27, 2023 2:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2023 3:31 PM

jm0322 wrote:

I can delete messages from either my mac and iPhone, and the messages will get deleted everywhere.

I have never been able to do this, and it is not standard. But I believe I can explain exactly why this occurs.

The Mac and iPhone are likely storing your messages in iCloud, while your iPad is not. On your iPad, check Settings > [your name] > iCloud > [possibly Show All] > Messages and be certain it’s set the same way as your Mac and iPhone.

Set up iCloud for Messages on all your devices - Apple Support

(I do not use iCloud Messages.)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 27, 2023 3:31 PM in response to jm0322

jm0322 wrote:

I can delete messages from either my mac and iPhone, and the messages will get deleted everywhere.

I have never been able to do this, and it is not standard. But I believe I can explain exactly why this occurs.

The Mac and iPhone are likely storing your messages in iCloud, while your iPad is not. On your iPad, check Settings > [your name] > iCloud > [possibly Show All] > Messages and be certain it’s set the same way as your Mac and iPhone.

Set up iCloud for Messages on all your devices - Apple Support

(I do not use iCloud Messages.)

Delete iMessages from iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.