Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina, iPhone restore issue. File dialog appears.

Upgraded Macbook to Catalina and am needing to restore iPhone. I backed it up to the computer and see the backup in the Finder window for the iPhone. I can also see it in ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backups.

However, when I click Restore iPhone... a file dialog window appears prompting to find a file to open. The same happens when clicking Update.

In previous macOS, utilizing iTunes, you could fix this by deleting the iTunes plist. I attempted this and deleting the Finder plist. Neither worked.

Does anyone know how to solve this now? Or what plist controls the iPhone Finder interaction?

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Apr 1, 2020 4:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2020 7:35 AM

MacQuack wrote:

Upgraded Macbook to Catalina and am needing to restore iPhone. I backed it up to the computer and see the backup in the Finder window for the iPhone. I can also see it in ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backups.

However, when I click Restore iPhone... a file dialog window appears prompting to find a file to open. The same happens when clicking Update.

In previous macOS, utilizing iTunes, you could fix this by deleting the iTunes plist. I attempted this and deleting the Finder plist. Neither worked.

Does anyone know how to solve this now? Or what plist controls the iPhone Finder interaction?

If you see an error when you update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201210

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2020 7:35 AM in response to MacQuack

MacQuack wrote:

If you see an error when you update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201210

Apr 2, 2020 8:00 AM in response to leroydouglas

Those generic steps do not address the actual question I asked. There are no errors when updating because it never even attempts to launch the process.

As I stated I had just updated. Yes I’m plugged in. No, the security isn’t stopping it. The backup worked fine. I restarted multiple times. The phone is also up to date. I tried again several times.

Catalina, iPhone restore issue. File dialog appears.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.