Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

microsoft Word not saving documents

I’ve done the Catalina upgrade, and now my Word documents won’t save. It goes through the document save process, then doesn’t actually save the version. It saves a file with zero KB. Word then won’t shut down and gives the error message that documents can’t be saved under the same name (they’re not). I’ve tried saving to pen drives and the same thing happens. I’ve tried restarting and shutting down the laptop to no avail. The frustration is real!

Any tips please?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 2, 2020 3:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2020 7:09 PM

Since you can open up new Word files that says you don't have a 32 bit Word app.To start, there are a couple of things to try. I would restart your Mac in the safe mode. As it is starting up. hold down the shift key. Start up can take up to 10 minutes as the os is doing fixing, cleaning and maintenance. Then I would run the Disk Utility app until it says no problems found. Next, restart as usual and see if anything is different. You might also then reload the Word app in case it's corrupted. If this all fails, I would recommend reloading Catalina.

Do this by restarting the computer and holding down the Command and R keys at startup.

If that doesn't correct the problem, then I would download the EtreCheckPro free app. It was created by advanced Mac users here. You can then post it here and it can tell precisely what you have installed that might be problematic. Good luck.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2020 7:09 PM in response to KelliePritchard

Since you can open up new Word files that says you don't have a 32 bit Word app.To start, there are a couple of things to try. I would restart your Mac in the safe mode. As it is starting up. hold down the shift key. Start up can take up to 10 minutes as the os is doing fixing, cleaning and maintenance. Then I would run the Disk Utility app until it says no problems found. Next, restart as usual and see if anything is different. You might also then reload the Word app in case it's corrupted. If this all fails, I would recommend reloading Catalina.

Do this by restarting the computer and holding down the Command and R keys at startup.

If that doesn't correct the problem, then I would download the EtreCheckPro free app. It was created by advanced Mac users here. You can then post it here and it can tell precisely what you have installed that might be problematic. Good luck.

Apr 2, 2020 5:32 PM in response to Ronasara

Hi Ronasara

Thanks for informing me of the information I need to provide you. Not being very tech litereate I don't know what's relevant.

I'm using Word for Mac version 15.32 - I don't know if that's a 32bit or 64bit version. I can create a new document, but I cannot open previous saved Word documents, nor can I save documents.

My Mac details: MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015).

After the Catalina upgrade, a few things have been disrupted.

• I also now can't save Word documents to flash drives or external hard drives.
  • Everything is automatically saving to iCloud Documents rather than the Documents folder on my Mac (local)
  • When I try to open Word docs from the iCloud Documents folder, they don't open.

Any advice or support you can provide would be so greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kellie

Apr 2, 2020 2:14 PM in response to KelliePritchard

Kellie, you haven't given us much information to go on. What version of Word, or Office, are you using? If it is an older 32 bit version, it won't work and that is what's happening. Can you still create a new document? If not, then you will either have to upgrade your version or replace with a 64 bit version. Please also note: if this is the case, none of your other 32 bit apps will work either and they also will have to be upgraded. If this is not the problem, then please provide the following information: your year and model Mac, the os you were upgrading from, and the version of your Word or Office. Then other suggestions can be made for you.

microsoft Word not saving documents

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.