Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Older Mac pro

I have an older Mac Pro that I’ve recently been given possession of. It has os10.6.5 on it. How can I get this Mac up to date. It has everything I need to run Catalina but I can not figure out how to update software to be able to get to Catalina. I need help!!

Posted on Apr 2, 2020 5:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2020 6:39 AM

First, use the built-in Software Update function to update to 10.6.8. then apply ALL remaining updates. This will give you a more modern Mac App Store.

what model is this exactly?

You generally do not need to apply every Intervening upgrade, but Silver Tower Mac Pro is not supported for Catalina. Some models will run El Capitan, and that is used a waypoint if you can go farther.

How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support

If this is a 2006 or 2007 model, your choices are far more limited.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2020 6:39 AM in response to rwillis12

First, use the built-in Software Update function to update to 10.6.8. then apply ALL remaining updates. This will give you a more modern Mac App Store.

what model is this exactly?

You generally do not need to apply every Intervening upgrade, but Silver Tower Mac Pro is not supported for Catalina. Some models will run El Capitan, and that is used a waypoint if you can go farther.

How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support

If this is a 2006 or 2007 model, your choices are far more limited.

Older Mac pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.