Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X to Catalina

My 2011 Macbook pro has missed a bunch of updates and is still on OS X - Can I upgrade it to the latest OS? Or is there an older OS I should consider installing, such as 10.13.6 Catalina perhaps? TIA

Posted on Apr 5, 2021 7:54 PM

3 replies

Apr 5, 2021 8:19 PM in response to gidwanig2021

gidwanig2021 Said:

"OS X to Catalina: My 2011 Macbook pro has missed a bunch of updates and is still on OS X - Can I upgrade it to the latest OS? Or is there an older OS I should consider installing, such as 10.13.6 Catalina perhaps? TIA:"

-------

Two Steps - Back Up, then Upgrade:

Upgrade to High Sierra First:

To go past a macOS version released prior to High Sierra (10.13), then you need to upgrade the High Sierra first. From there, proceed with an upgrade from there to Mojave(10.14), Catalina(10.15), or Big Sur (11). Get these upgrades here: How to Get Old Versions of macOS - Apple Support

IMPORTANT - Back up your Mac, First:

Always backup, prior to upgrading. So, take this as a Learning experience, knowing to always create a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the upgrade.

Apr 6, 2021 6:42 AM in response to TheLittles

TheLittles wrote:

To go past a macOS version released prior to High Sierra (10.13), then you need to upgrade the High Sierra first. From there, proceed with an upgrade from there to Mojave(10.14), Catalina(10.15), or Big Sur (11).

Gidwanig is using a 2011 MacBook Pro and cannot install Mojave or above.

(195498)

OS X to Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.