Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi extender to work with Time Capsule

There are a few existing threads on this topic, but they all predate Apple's discontinuation of AirPort hardware.

I have a Time Capsule as my wifi router. It works swimmingly. I had been using an AirPort Express as a wifi extender, but that device finally died today. Since it's no longer produced/supported, I need a new wifi extender.

Does anyone know of a wifi extender that's compatible with the Time Capsule? There is one extender on Apple's site - a Linksys - but the product details say it's only compatible with the Linksys mesh system.

Anyone have a recommendation?

Posted on Apr 2, 2020 8:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2020 10:03 AM

Ebay has new, refurbished and used AirPort Express devices.

If you are asking about a device that would connect using wireless......It is unlikely that another brand of "extender" or "repeater" would be compatible with your Time Capsule, since Apple designed their "extend" feature to only work with other Apple AirPorts.

Depending on how old your Time Capsule may be, it might be time to take a look at one of the newer mesh systems to take over the wireless coverage of your home. You can connect the Time Capsule to the mesh system using an Ethernet cable and still use the Time Capsule as a hard drive for backups as long as it keeps ticking.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2020 10:03 AM in response to EdHDC

Ebay has new, refurbished and used AirPort Express devices.

If you are asking about a device that would connect using wireless......It is unlikely that another brand of "extender" or "repeater" would be compatible with your Time Capsule, since Apple designed their "extend" feature to only work with other Apple AirPorts.

Depending on how old your Time Capsule may be, it might be time to take a look at one of the newer mesh systems to take over the wireless coverage of your home. You can connect the Time Capsule to the mesh system using an Ethernet cable and still use the Time Capsule as a hard drive for backups as long as it keeps ticking.

Wifi extender to work with Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.