Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro 12,9 (4th gen) + Apple Pencil 2, does not connect 😭

Dear community,

I realise I'm an early adopter, and that sometimes has its price. But I'm just checking in first to see if anyone else is having issues, and second to feed the internet with this user case, in case it'll be solved.

Short description: My brand new iPad Pro 12,9 4th gen, 512GB, iPadOS 13.4, doesn't work with Apple Pencils.

Long description

1. I got my new Apple Pencil 2. A few days later my iPad Pro 4th gen was delivered.
  2. I connected the pencil, but it wouldn't connect. I tried repeatedly. Read forums. Charged for a few minutes. Restarted. Charged for a few hours, tried again. Turned off and on bluetooth. Tried a bluetooth speaker (which worked). All I got was that Apple Pencil animation followed by nothing. I'm sure I tried about 50-100 times.
  3. Suddenly it connected. I have no idea what triggered it to work. It worked. But I noticed that it only displayed 56% battery, no matter how much I charged. It continued to work, but the 56% battery was nagging me. I decided to drain the battery to see if the battery recalibrated.
  4. After the battery had drained, I can't reconnect again. I'm back to square one.
  5. I went to the local Apple store and tried my Apple Pencil on their iPad Pro's; didn't work.
  6. I asked an Apple authorised service centre here, but they told me to contact Apple instead. Service is at least 21 days. (This is not what I purchased.)
  7. I tried many other Apple Pencils in an Apple authorised store on my iPad Pro; didn't work (!) Up until now I had thought my pencil was defect. But now I started thinking my iPad Pro might be defect too (?)
  8. I installed a fresh iPadOS 13.4 from the computer, to avoid anything that might have been lurking on my iPad. But the issue remained. The Apple Pencil didn't connect.

In my head, I sort of assume that either:

1. My brand new iPad Pro AND the Apple Pencil are both defect. (In my head, pretty unlikely).
  2. or… iPadOS 13.4 has an issue with some iPad Pro's and Apple Pencils.
  3. or… my Apple Pencil has a faulty firmware that makes both itself and my iPad Pro freak out.

I really don't know what to think of all this. I wish there was an option to submit my whole iPad and Apple Pencil profile straight to the developers. If they realise that a series of products are causing these issues, I bet the developers in charge would get cold sweat running down their spine, and have no other choice but to work overtime until solved 😢

This is pretty urgent. I'm an artist, and my main interest in the iPad Pro is to make art. Instead, I'm calling support calls, I'm comparing issues, and searching for user experiences on the internet... Time is all I have, and I'd rather use it for creation.

iPad Pro, iOS 13

Posted on Apr 2, 2020 12:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2020 12:59 PM

Apple Pencil

Hello,

If Apple Pencil’s battery sits depleted for an extended amount of time then it will essentially ruin the battery preventing it from ever holding a charge which makes the Apple Pencil useless. Apple Pencil has a 1 year warranty (when purchased from Apple) which means that Apple will most likely replace it if the battery has failed.

Please refer to the following Apple Support document on how to troubleshoot Apple Pencil.

Use Apple Pencil with your iPad or iPad Pro - Apple Support

Contact AppleCare

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2020 12:59 PM in response to cuckoomusic

Apple Pencil

Hello,

If Apple Pencil’s battery sits depleted for an extended amount of time then it will essentially ruin the battery preventing it from ever holding a charge which makes the Apple Pencil useless. Apple Pencil has a 1 year warranty (when purchased from Apple) which means that Apple will most likely replace it if the battery has failed.

Please refer to the following Apple Support document on how to troubleshoot Apple Pencil.

Use Apple Pencil with your iPad or iPad Pro - Apple Support

Contact AppleCare

Apr 2, 2020 1:37 PM in response to QuickPost

Thanks,

A battery dead from being depleted for that amount of time shouldn’t be in stock, especially under Tim Cook’s rule. This is his special skill after all. Also, one dead Apple Pencil shouldn’t stop all other apple pencils from connecting. That is just weird. Although perhaps I should have purchased a brand new Pencil and tested that in front of the store employees. Perhaps the demo pencils are banned from working on any other iPad? That could of course be a possibility, to prevent theft.

Apr 15, 2020 7:00 AM in response to cuckoomusic

2 weeks into the case.

Many hours been spent on support calls with Apple. The Apple Pencil 2 has been replaced. The new Pencil has the same behaviour on my iPad Pro. Many more hours of support calls. A bluetooth diagnostics was performed on the iPad pro and sent to Apple.

I'm sending the gear back for replacement tomorrow.

Both parts agree that this is an unusual case. For two Apple Pencils to be be malfunctioning upon delivery the odds are close to zero. The odds for an iPad Pro 4th gen to be malfunctioning somehow in the Apple Pencil regards is probably too early to have any data on, since it's still very new. But I guess… extremely low odds.

I have read some people in the forums are having seemingly bricked, or at least malfunctioning Apple Pencils after the 13.4 update, and not fixed in the 13.4.1 update. Not sure how many are affected. It could be related, but there's no way for me to know or jump to any conclusions, or to estimate the scope of it. Could be related. Perhaps parts are manufactured in different factories, and there's a bad batch somewhere, yet to be identified. Who knows.

In my own analytical mind, I now kind of assume that something is wrong with the iPad Pro, and that it is somehow corrupting the Pencil once it's trying to pair and connect. What if half a firmware is sent to the Pencil for instance? Or if somehow a corrupt Pencil Firmware is being sent? Could the pencil be rendered bricked? Since there's no hard-boot button on the Apple Pencil 2, and no hard wired way of connecting it, I'm assuming it can be bricked by software failure. Or if the Apple Pencil charging module within the iPad Pro is malfunctioning and not supplying the Pencil with the sufficient amount of power? I'm just trying to suggest up with possible scenarios.

In any case. I hope that the replacement that will be sent to me in the near future will be running smooth and without any issues.

To anyone stumbling upon this thread. If you're experiencing these issues, you're probably not crazy, or doing anything wrong. You should immediately contact Apple, and even point them to this thread as a very rare case that does exist.

I will write back here once I get the replacement hardware to (hopefully) close the case.

May 8, 2020 9:09 AM in response to cuckoomusic

Sorry to say. I have opened the case again. The iPad and Pencil worked fine for about two weeks. Then it stopped charging, and disconnected when on the charging magnet. I pressed “forget device” and now the pencil won’t connect again.

If two out of two cases malfunctioned like this for me, I’d be pretty nervous if I were Apple. That is a pretty tough error rate :-/

awaiting response from Apple Support.

May 26, 2020 2:28 AM in response to cuckoomusic

An update…

A week ago Apple performed a bluetooth diagnostics on the new unit, and new Apple Pencil, and logged when attempting to connect three times… all according to protocol. Took a week to get feedback from that report. The feedback was:

This should be solved in iPad OS 13.5 (which was released a few days ago). I updated, but the Apple Pencil still didn't show any signs of connecting. So we did another bluetooth diagnostics thing, and they'll get back to me in about a week again.

Days from purchase: 63… (aka, imagine my frustration)

I'd be interested to know if iPad OS 13.5 solved the issue for others with the same issue? I have the feeling that my Pencil has been corrupted, and is in a crashed state. And since there's no way of resetting the Pencil, no secret buttons (?) no factory reset(?) it's effectively bricked? Perhaps a new Pencil is the only way to go now? If they have acknowledged the problem, and they say it's solved in 13.5, then a new pencil should be good. 🤷🏽‍♀️

Hashtag #neverendingcase

May 29, 2020 2:02 PM in response to cuckoomusic

Update. I’m tired of waiting. Since Apple said that this should effectively be fixed in iPad OS 13.5, even if it seemingly wasn’t for me, I went to the Apple store and tried out some Apple Pencils that were on demo units. They repeatedly connected fine. My own pencil still did not. So I decided to buy a new pencil, and it works well.

Perhaps they’ve fixed this issue from occurring in the first place, but if your Apple Pencil is bricked, it won’t fix that? That’s kind of my interpretation of this.

Apple will probably send me a new pencil anyways (a fourth one!). I just bought this at the store because I‘ve frankly had enough.

iPad Pro 12,9 (4th gen) + Apple Pencil 2, does not connect 😭

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.