Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Saving a new document in Pages.

I am trying to create a new document using a photo that I have copied to a Page and then I added a text box. But it keeps saying the doc cannot be saved or autosaved. I cannot send to or revert to PDF or any other format. I cannot duplicate then save. I do not have a 'save as' choice. I've had this problem in the past and it is so frustrating!! How can I accomplish this task? What am I missing?

MacBook Air 13", OS X 10.11

Posted on Apr 2, 2020 1:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2020 2:31 PM

Wendy,

Are you attempting to save this file to your local drive, or iCloud Drive, and not to any other Cloud service filesystem, or to a mounted Windows NTFS drive that is read-only?

I just created a new document using the blank template in Pages 10. Yes, the title is solely "Untitled." I wrote some text in the document and the title changes to "Untitled - Edited."

I then clicked on the title, changed the name from Untitled to foo.pages, and satisfied with the Desktop folder destination, pressed return. This wrote the initial foo.pages to the Desktop, where it was accessible in Quick Look with my content.

This is not how I usually save Pages documents, and I initially use ⌘S to trigger File menu : Save…, and once I have entered the document name, I press return to save it.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2020 2:31 PM in response to wendyfromst. louis

Wendy,

Are you attempting to save this file to your local drive, or iCloud Drive, and not to any other Cloud service filesystem, or to a mounted Windows NTFS drive that is read-only?

I just created a new document using the blank template in Pages 10. Yes, the title is solely "Untitled." I wrote some text in the document and the title changes to "Untitled - Edited."

I then clicked on the title, changed the name from Untitled to foo.pages, and satisfied with the Desktop folder destination, pressed return. This wrote the initial foo.pages to the Desktop, where it was accessible in Quick Look with my content.

This is not how I usually save Pages documents, and I initially use ⌘S to trigger File menu : Save…, and once I have entered the document name, I press return to save it.

Apr 2, 2020 1:43 PM in response to wendyfromst. louis

If it is a new Pages document, and the title is Untitled.pages, then you should be able to initially use FIle menu : Save… , give it an intelligent name, and a specify the save location — provided it is a supported save destination. From that point, autosave is active for any future changes you make to that document. You use the option key while in the File menu to watch Duplicate change to Save As…, though after the first save, this should not be necessary, any more than duplicate.

Saving a new document in Pages.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.