Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No camera device found

Camera in MacPro not working. No camera device is found when try to access it for FaceTime, etc.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 3, 2020 7:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2020 11:09 AM

I would attempt to reset the SMC.

If that doesn't work, unfortunately there is no Apple Store available. It is more cost effective to get an external camera.

An older laptop like that is worth only about $350 on the open market, and the screen is about $100 alone on the open market, and you take your chances the problem isn't something wrong with the logicboard itself.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 3, 2020 11:09 AM in response to champsowner

I would attempt to reset the SMC.

If that doesn't work, unfortunately there is no Apple Store available. It is more cost effective to get an external camera.

An older laptop like that is worth only about $350 on the open market, and the screen is about $100 alone on the open market, and you take your chances the problem isn't something wrong with the logicboard itself.

Apr 3, 2020 10:46 AM in response to champsowner

MacPro is a desktop machine. MacBook Pro is a notebook machine. If indeed you have a MacPro, there is no camera built-in. You'll want a camera like the Logitech c615 which is a clip on camera that connects via USB, or a Display with a built-in camera that connects via HDMI or Thunderbolt.

If you are talking the MacBook Pro on your signature, reasons it may not see the camera are if another camera is connected, if a logicboard repair was done, or if the cable into the display got damaged.

Facetime may not see the camera, if you are connected behind an office network firewall that blocks those ports.

Tethering over a cell phone may not give you sufficient bandwidth to do Facetime conversations.

Use Photobooth in your applications folder with no other programs open to verify it is not the camera itself that is having an issue.

Apr 3, 2020 11:01 AM in response to a brody

Thanks for your comments.; I much appreciate your help. I do have a MacBook Pro, which at one time had a camera, as I have used it a number of times in the past. I checked it with Photo Booth, with all other programs closed, and still have the same problem. There is no other camera connected; how can I tell if the cable is damaged? Is this something that has to go to an Apple store?

No camera device found

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.