Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail quit unexpectedly - Problem Report

May be someone can help me with this issue.

Hardware: Macbook Air, late 2010

macOS: High Sierra, 10.13.6

Within the last couple of month the mail program quits unexpectdly when

• I am deleting the trash (almost every time)
  • I am writing a new mail (not always)

After quitting a problem report is displayed.

I added the first portion (what fits into the text window) of the problem report.

Best regards

Posted on Apr 3, 2020 8:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2020 4:02 PM

Hello,

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

If still no good Disconnect from the Internet, then start Mail, look for the last rec'd eMail.

Quit Mail & login to your WebMail in a Browser, if possible delete any later eMails there after the last rec'd one on the Mac.

Assuming all your Mail is IMAP & not POP, highlight Inbox, from Mail's Mailbox menu choose Rebuild.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 3, 2020 4:02 PM in response to CAAN

Hello,

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

If still no good Disconnect from the Internet, then start Mail, look for the last rec'd eMail.

Quit Mail & login to your WebMail in a Browser, if possible delete any later eMails there after the last rec'd one on the Mac.

Assuming all your Mail is IMAP & not POP, highlight Inbox, from Mail's Mailbox menu choose Rebuild.

Apr 13, 2020 9:27 AM in response to CAAN

Great, thanks,

We need to see if this improves after deleting this file & restarting,,,

Virtual Memory Information:

Physical RAM: 4 GB

Free RAM: 15 MB

Clean up:

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.SafariBookmarksSyncer.plist

~ tilde indicates hidden Home Library.

Apple hid the Users' Library folders...

Method 1:

1. From the Finder, select the Go menu at top of the screen, and choose Go to Folder.
  2. In the window that opens, enter ~/Library, and click Go.

Apr 8, 2020 11:51 AM in response to CAAN

EtreCheck is a simple little app to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac.

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

Pastebin is a good place to paste the whole report...

https://pastebin.com/

Or use the paperclip at the bottom of a Reply to attach the full report here. :)

Workable but harder for me to work with...the Note tool on the bottom of this editor's toolbar, as shown in the image, to copy and paste the output from EtreCheck.

Apr 13, 2020 2:19 PM in response to CAAN

Hmmmm, free RAM a tat better but not good enough yet, we need to find that runaway process, open Activity Monitor in Utilities & see if we can find it, if not Safe Boot & run another report & see what...

Major Issues:

Anything that appears on this list needs immediate attention.

Runaway process - A process is using a large percentage of your CPU.

Says.

Mail quit unexpectedly - Problem Report

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.