Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is Mail constantly crashing?

For the past several weeks the Mail program on my MacBook Pro has been crashing. I could be selecting emails for the trash and it crashes, more over I could be trying to select a particular email to read, especially ones that need to use another web page and Mail crashes, and I can't seem to stop it.

I have tried restarts, shutting down the computer, and having it open but minimizing it and coming back; but it'll crash anyways. Other times it'll work great.

When it does crash, an aftermath window pops up saying it'll send the crash results to Apple. Now I haven't received any response from Apple regarding these crash instances, but it would be nice if they offered a solution.

The MacBook Pro is running OS Ventura 13.2, is a 2018 version, a 15.4" model, and with the intel i7.

Anyone with any advice on fixes would be welcome.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 5, 2023 6:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2023 7:37 PM

Press and hold a Shift key while launching Mail from Applications or the Dock. That action causes the Mail app to open with no message selected.

Release the Shift key when the Mail message viewer window opens.

In so doing you might be able to isolate the problem to a malformed message causing Mail to crash. If you are fortunate enough to find the problematic message, the ideal solution is to use the email account's webmail interface to delete it.

If Mail remains open long enough to not crash, you might try rebuilding Mailboxes according to Rebuild mailboxes in Mail on Mac - Apple Support. You can rebuild any Mailbox including Junk, Trash, Outbox, Sent, etc. You might as well rebuild all of them.

Now I haven't received any response from Apple regarding these crash instances, but it would be nice if they offered a solution.

That is to be expected, since the crash reports are intended to be used internally. If the problem is due to something Apple can fix, they will fix it with a software update. Other than that they do not reply.

If nothing helps "Safe Mode" may be instructive: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2023 7:37 PM in response to 1parkpointer

Press and hold a Shift key while launching Mail from Applications or the Dock. That action causes the Mail app to open with no message selected.

Release the Shift key when the Mail message viewer window opens.

In so doing you might be able to isolate the problem to a malformed message causing Mail to crash. If you are fortunate enough to find the problematic message, the ideal solution is to use the email account's webmail interface to delete it.

If Mail remains open long enough to not crash, you might try rebuilding Mailboxes according to Rebuild mailboxes in Mail on Mac - Apple Support. You can rebuild any Mailbox including Junk, Trash, Outbox, Sent, etc. You might as well rebuild all of them.

Now I haven't received any response from Apple regarding these crash instances, but it would be nice if they offered a solution.

That is to be expected, since the crash reports are intended to be used internally. If the problem is due to something Apple can fix, they will fix it with a software update. Other than that they do not reply.

If nothing helps "Safe Mode" may be instructive: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Why is Mail constantly crashing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.