Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail crashing after installing macOS Ventura

I've discovered some difficulty using Mail after installing Ventura. Turned MacBookAir off and on and quit mail to reopen. Does anyone have the same problem? Have you been able to fix it? Thanks for your help.

MacBook Air

Posted on Oct 27, 2022 9:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2022 11:24 AM

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2022 11:24 AM in response to Ali oop

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Oct 28, 2022 4:11 PM in response to Peter Berglund

I should say that I have tried all "normal" troubleshooting steps commonly proposed for Mail errors, including deleting cache, prefs files, rebuilding the indexing by deleting envelope files etc etc.

But now I found a workaround. The issue I have is isolated to one of the mail accounts, which I found out by systematically disabling my mail accounts one by one in System Settings / Internet Accounts and unchecking the mail checkbox followed by restarting the Mail app.

Unchecking the culprit account (from one.com) made it possible to launch Mail and use it without crashes. However, if I close Mail and re-activate the account in System Settings, the crashes come back.

Interestingly, I found that I can enable the culprit account from within Mail itself (Mail Preferences / Accounts). Doing so activates the account and downloads all the messages. But if I then close and launch Mail, the crashing is back. This means that I unfortunately have to repeat the procedure everytime I want to launch Mail: 1. Go to System Preferences / Internet Accounts, 2) Uncheck mail for this specific account, 3) Launch Mail, 4) go to Mail preferences and turn on the account.

Apple still needs to fix this of course, but I hope this was helpful for some of you out there.

Mail crashing after installing macOS Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.