Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

external hard drive crashed with my music on, help needed

my external hard drive with all my iTunes music on, has crashed i can no longer access it, i had 50,000 songs on it, is there a way of retrieving the songs through iTunes? because although i can't locate them because the hard drive is broken, there are still listed in my library?

I like to reinstall them on a new hard drive if possible

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Apr 3, 2020 10:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2020 1:07 PM

Howdy allanpar,

It’s great to have you in the Apple Support Communities! I gather that you're attempting to recover those lost songs after your external hard drive crashed. I'm happy to provide some guidance.

Before the external hard drive crashed, did you have the individuals files backed up in another location on another drive? If not, that music may be lost. You can consider iTunes library as a catalog, letting you know where files are located and providing you with the quick shortcut to play them.

If those were songs that you had purchased and downloaded from the iTunes Store, you may be able to re-download them using the steps here: Redownload apps, music, movies, TV shows, and books

This article will help you with backing up your iTunes library to avoid this issue in the future: Back up and restore your iTunes library on your PC

Wishing you the best!

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2020 1:07 PM in response to allanpar

Howdy allanpar,

It’s great to have you in the Apple Support Communities! I gather that you're attempting to recover those lost songs after your external hard drive crashed. I'm happy to provide some guidance.

Before the external hard drive crashed, did you have the individuals files backed up in another location on another drive? If not, that music may be lost. You can consider iTunes library as a catalog, letting you know where files are located and providing you with the quick shortcut to play them.

If those were songs that you had purchased and downloaded from the iTunes Store, you may be able to re-download them using the steps here: Redownload apps, music, movies, TV shows, and books

This article will help you with backing up your iTunes library to avoid this issue in the future: Back up and restore your iTunes library on your PC

Wishing you the best!

Apr 6, 2020 3:34 PM in response to i_rina

Thanks for the response, I have an iMac with a 500gb hard drive in it, which had some of the music on it, (possibly a third of the total), however when the hard drive was getting nearly full, I plugged in a external 2TB hard drive, so most of the music I’d copied to that, over a 8 year period, along with a about 20,000 photos I’d taken. All the music was in my iTunes library, so I was hoping iTunes would know it was there so I might be able to access it another way, actually that’s made me think I’m wondering if it was backed up to iCloud too? I’ll have to check on that.

i have been thinking for a while now about backing it up on another hard drive but looks like I might have left it too late.

Apr 6, 2020 3:39 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for your response I do have an iPod and an iPad Pro along with a iPhone X some of the music was copied onto them but with having so much music on the hard drive I only put a small selection on my devices, I have just realised though I might have backed up everything to iCloud so I’ll have too take a look. Thanks again Alkan

Apr 6, 2020 4:06 PM in response to allanpar

allanpar Said:

"external hard drive crashed with my music on, help needed: my external hard drive with all my iTunes music on, has crashed i can no longer access it, i had 50,000 songs on it, is there a way of retrieving the songs through iTunes? because although i can't locate them because the hard drive is broken, there are still listed in my library? I like to reinstall them on a new hard drive if possible"

-------

Data Recovery Services:

Contact a retailer, and see what they offer for data recovery services. They may have such a service.

Apr 6, 2020 4:49 PM in response to i_rina

Hi I’ve just checked on my iPad I have 1495 songs saved in my music library on that, also a few thousand on my iPod so with the songs on them and my iPhone also on the iMac hard drive, I’ve probably lost just over half of the music, may be a little bit more. However that’s better than. Loosing all of it, so I’ll take your advice and consolidate the library. Regards Allan

external hard drive crashed with my music on, help needed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.