Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting recent MacBook Pro 15, 1 to two external monitors

Hi, as the title says, I have a fairly recent MacBook Pro (MacBookPro15,1) and have 2 external monitors Benq GW2283 and was hoping someone could advise me how to connect all that ?

thank you,

Ben

Posted on Apr 3, 2020 1:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2020 4:08 AM

I think just turn mirroring off in System Preferences then Displays..... It should say in the product description if it supports independent displays....apparent there's something about MST (*multi stream transport*) which might not be supported on Macs.....let me see...that only applies if you have 3 monitors...and you want to mirror your display on all 3.....

anyways, try this one.... it doesn't have a card reader, and it only has a couple of usb 3 ports on it, but it does have Dual HDMI and DisplayPort Outputs....

https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Dock-100W-Power-Adapter/dp/B07K6Y63N9/ref=sr_1_14?dchild=1&keywords=usb+hub+with+2+hdmi+ports+mac+compatible&qid=1585998143&s=electronics&sr=1-14

john b.....

there are others which might work, sort of, kind of, maybe, but you're not into maybe......

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2020 4:08 AM in response to benoit228

I think just turn mirroring off in System Preferences then Displays..... It should say in the product description if it supports independent displays....apparent there's something about MST (*multi stream transport*) which might not be supported on Macs.....let me see...that only applies if you have 3 monitors...and you want to mirror your display on all 3.....

anyways, try this one.... it doesn't have a card reader, and it only has a couple of usb 3 ports on it, but it does have Dual HDMI and DisplayPort Outputs....

https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Dock-100W-Power-Adapter/dp/B07K6Y63N9/ref=sr_1_14?dchild=1&keywords=usb+hub+with+2+hdmi+ports+mac+compatible&qid=1585998143&s=electronics&sr=1-14

john b.....

there are others which might work, sort of, kind of, maybe, but you're not into maybe......

Apr 3, 2020 4:37 PM in response to benoit228

Sure, Ben, I'd be delighted to help you out. Your MacBook Pro (MacBookPro 15,1) will support up to 4 monitors via Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) , at about 4k ??? It will support one additional monitor at about 5k, if that's important to you. The max resolution of each of your monitors is 1920x1080, so not 4k. and you don't have to worry about HDMI 2.0 as the monitor doesn't support it, or HDCP 2.X. So.... a USB-C to 2 HDMI 1.4 splitter should do the job for you. Your monitor does support HDCP 1.4, just not 2.0

something from amazon, perhaps ??

https://www.amazon.com/CableCreation-Compatible-Thunderbolt-Adapter-Chromebook/dp/B01M6C3B39/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=USB+C+to+2+hdmi+hub&qid=1585956084&sr=8-7

I'd suggest that due to the lack of ports on the current crop of MacBook Pro's, that you may wish to look for a USB-C hub with dual video outputs, among other things, one or both of which should be HDMI. I think there are a few of those out there, but not entirely sure. I do know this though. If you insist that you must have Thunderbolt 3 for everything, expect to pay a pretty penny for it all, as in, not cheap..... However, you don't, you just want whatever works, nice and simple, easy to do, which is cheaper...... I'd also look for one that says "Works with Mac" or "Works with MacBook Pro/Macbook" or "MacBook compatible" ,etc.... somewhere in there it should say it. If it does, then you're good to go. The only reason I mention it is that it's not a given, it's not guaranteed, it's not automatic......

anyways, hope this helps you out a bit

John B

Connecting recent MacBook Pro 15, 1 to two external monitors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.