Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari constantly reloading webpages

Hello and hopefully someone can offer advice to resolve a newly discovered issue I'm experiencing with Safari.

Since updating to Safari 13.1, most webpages continue to reload every few seconds which renders the website completely useless. I've searched the web for answers and it seems to be a widespread problem. I've followed instructions to delete browsing history, delete cache, I've uninstalled and then updated Java and the same with Adobe Flash. However I'm still getting the message - This webpage was reloaded because a problem occurred.

I'm going a bit crazy not being able to rectify this very annoying problem and would be most grateful for assistance. Thank you.

Mac Pro

Posted on Apr 3, 2020 11:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2020 3:32 PM

This fixed it for me:

Download only from this source: http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/46/01/061-46316/xvsfnpjvttr5ah1yuj5mpb5x1vvdtytqsv/Safari13.1HighSierraAuto.pkg

..and run it.

11 replies

Apr 7, 2020 4:35 PM in response to mand_away

No I haven't resolved this yet. The only suggestion I've had is to reinstall the entire operating system which I'm a bit reluctant about. I'm waiting to see if there's another less drastic fix before taking the plunge.

Not all websites are effected and about 50% of them remain stable. It could be those with advertising banners might be the difference between stable and unstable sites.

I'll keep searching and let you know how I go.

Apr 14, 2020 3:22 PM in response to Mad_Macs

Exactly the same thing happening to me with Safari 13.1 since I clean installed High Sierra to a new SSD recently and migrated all my settings etc from Sierra.

It its driving me nuts.

I've trashed all the Safari plists but that hasn't fixed it.

I am also having problems with Mail, it errors every time I Trash an eMail because it can't find Trash or Junk.

I also think a complete reinstall is not correct. A very Microsoft Windows answer.

Apr 15, 2020 2:12 PM in response to mand_away

As I said it worked. Problem gone, no more auto refreshes.

I also fixed Mail. Migration Assistant changed the Junk and Trash Mail settings to nothing chosen, which is why it errored. I fixed it in the Account Preferences.

I guess there has been a reason I avoided High Sierra all this time. :)

Why people keep recommending to reinstall the System, is beyond me. I've been using Macs for 36 years, this has just about never been a fix, nor have anything to do with resolving problems. It is after all macOS, NOT Windows!

Reinstalling is a huge waste of time and only causes more problems when you have to set up everything all over again. It's something "Support" suggests to make you go away and probably not bother them again. Shutting down and restarting is more likely to fix problems.

Apr 15, 2020 2:34 PM in response to VikingOSX

Not Migration Assistant fault that I can see.

Migration Assistant worked perfectly with Catalina and nearly every other macOS upgrade I have done.

The problems seem to all be with High Sierra. Both these problems with Safari and Mail are with clean installs. The fact that there is an unannounced patch waiting for Safari indicates it is a known problem. One which Apple should fix with an update in High Sierra, not leave for Users to discover and have to hunt for solutions.

Safari constantly reloading webpages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.