Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook air wont load past login screen after entering the password

i use macOS Mojave, my macbook wont load past login after i entered my password and always stuck at the loading screen, help what should i do? i tried the recovery mode first aid already and i couldn't reinstall macOS because i have not enough storage to reinstall it, i tried booting to safe mood but nothing happens too it still stucks on the load screen after login. i used the correct password. usually i would go directly to apple store but non of the stores open since we are in quarantine, so is there any other solution i can try?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 4, 2020 7:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2020 8:21 AM

The next steps would be to reinstall the Mac operating system or restore your Mac from a Time Machine backup.

11 replies

Apr 7, 2020 7:19 AM in response to nurulsyaffika

As I understand the problem, you're unable to log in even in Safe Mode, your Mac is basically unusable, and no Time Machine backups exist. If all that is correct, I don't know of a way to recover that will not require another Mac to preserve the information on yours.

Erasing the Mac completely and reinstalling macOS will allow you to use it again, but without a backup all its data will be lost. Perhaps Apple can think of another alternative. Contact Support and determine what they have to recommend.

Apr 27, 2020 8:16 AM in response to John Galt

hi, i haven’t erase my disk yet but i found a solution to backup my disk using disk utility into external hard disk, it requires mac OS extended (journaled) format to back it up, am i right? my hard disk is currently in exFat format so if i reformat my external hard disk into that format and erase the macintosh hd disk right after, will it work? can it be restored after i reinstalled the macOS later?

Apr 27, 2020 9:31 AM in response to nurulsyaffika

nurulsyaffika wrote:

hi, i haven’t erase my disk yet but i found a solution to backup my disk using disk utility into external hard disk, it requires mac OS extended (journaled) format to back it up, am i right?

Yes.

my hard disk is currently in exFat format so if i reformat my external hard disk into that format and erase the macintosh hd disk right after, will it work? can it be restored after i reinstalled the macOS later?

I'm not sure if you are asking about the internal or external hard disk. I understood your previous reply to mean that you're ok with losing all the data on your Mac. Ideally, you would want to create a Time Machine backup first, but I understood you gave up on that idea. If you are able to accomplish that Time Machine backup prior to erasing your Mac, by all means do so.

If you erase the internal or external hard disk obviously all their contents will be gone.

macbook air wont load past login screen after entering the password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.