Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No provision for pop up block in Safari 13 preferences

Just updated my 2017 MacBook Pro (and Safari to 13.1) and see no provision whatsoever for pop up blocking in Safari preferences. Not a box/item to check in "security" and no pop up button choice in "websites". I am suffering from perpetual web page reloading/crashing on certain websites like eBay.

Posted on Apr 4, 2020 12:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2020 12:33 PM

When you are on a website, eBay for example, click the Safari top menu. You will see “Settings for this website”. Select that and you will see the option to block pop-ups. There is no longer a global ‘block popups’ option. Why? Because some sites like online retailers require popups to function properly. Each website can be set accordingly.

That being said popups have absolutely nothing to do with websites crashing or reloading. You might try clearing your browser caches. Safari->Preferences->Advanced and check ‘Show Develop menu in menu bar’. The Develop menu will appear at the top memu bar. From there you can select ‘Empty Caches’ or just use the keyboard shortcut option/command/e to clear your browser caches. See if that helps.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2020 12:33 PM in response to donelope

When you are on a website, eBay for example, click the Safari top menu. You will see “Settings for this website”. Select that and you will see the option to block pop-ups. There is no longer a global ‘block popups’ option. Why? Because some sites like online retailers require popups to function properly. Each website can be set accordingly.

That being said popups have absolutely nothing to do with websites crashing or reloading. You might try clearing your browser caches. Safari->Preferences->Advanced and check ‘Show Develop menu in menu bar’. The Develop menu will appear at the top memu bar. From there you can select ‘Empty Caches’ or just use the keyboard shortcut option/command/e to clear your browser caches. See if that helps.

Apr 30, 2020 9:53 AM in response to lkrupp

I also was not seeing a block popups option under Preferences/Websites in Safari 13.1 (Catalina OS). Following the above instructions, "Block pops" is also not an option under "Settings for This Website" for any website I have tried so far. Should it be there for every website? I see "Use Reader when Available" and "Enable content blockers" but no other selectable checkbox.

Jun 13, 2020 11:31 AM in response to donandchas46

donandchas46 wrote:

I am trying to get into an investment website for my account and must turn off the popup blocker for that account. I do not see a Safari top menu. I cannot find "Settings for this website." I am on a 27-inch iMac, Late 2013, with Mac Os Catalina 10.15.5.

Makes no difference. The option IS there where I said it is. Top left corner of screen, to the right of the  click Safari in the menu bar then look down to see the "Setting for this Website" option.

No provision for pop up block in Safari 13 preferences

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.