Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The song ****** cannot be played because you are not signed into Apple Music. - iTunes 12.10.5 (up to date as of posting)

Every time I open itunes on my PC and select my playlist and try to play any of the songs, I get "The song ****** cannot be played because you are not signed into Apple Music."

YES I AM SIGNED IN, when i click on Account it show's i'm signed in.

The only way to get these songs to play is to click the radio tab and play a radio station. Then I can return to my library and play my playlists. These songs are downloaded from icloud.

I've seen forum posts on this dating back to 2015 about this bug, clearly there is no interest in fixing it.

I've paid easily 1000's of dollars to itunes to buy music over the years, and I just started using Apple Music last year. I've been liking it so far, but I have also tried the spotify premium free trial (prior to the Apple Music free trial) and it was just as good. I chose Apple Music because all of my music library was already here. But this is a deal breaker. Honestly this app should just work. If I want to play a song I should be able to play it without playing a radio station first.

If there is actually a solution for this i just haven't found yet (other then the workaround I mentioned) please let me know. I've already cleared the cache (via. preferences).

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Apr 4, 2020 12:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2020 9:24 AM

@ Brenden dv

Hi,

while I appreciate you taking time to reply, it does't seems a solution, because we all shouldn't log out and then log back in.

It has to works. stop. Even worst is that the same problem occurs both with Win & OSX.

As Stew895 is saying, problem is back in the days (years) and we are paying a lot of moneys for a service it does not work properly.

I avoid talking why if I got Apple Music turned on I cannot add my own file/records to All Music...

Cheers anyway.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2020 9:24 AM in response to brenden dv

@ Brenden dv

Hi,

while I appreciate you taking time to reply, it does't seems a solution, because we all shouldn't log out and then log back in.

It has to works. stop. Even worst is that the same problem occurs both with Win & OSX.

As Stew895 is saying, problem is back in the days (years) and we are paying a lot of moneys for a service it does not work properly.

I avoid talking why if I got Apple Music turned on I cannot add my own file/records to All Music...

Cheers anyway.

Apr 7, 2020 12:21 PM in response to stew895

Hello stew895,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you’re having trouble playing songs with Apple Music. I’m happy to help.

If you haven’t already, I suggest signing out of, and then back into Apple Music. You can do so by opening iTunes and then clicking Account > Sign Out. This will remove any songs you’ve made available for offline play and you’ll need to redownload them when you sign back in. You’ll also want to make sure that iCloud Music Library is enabled:

Turn on Sync Library with Apple Music - Apple Support

If that doesn’t help, try uninstalling iTunes and it’s components and then reinstalling:

Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows 7 and later - Apple Support

Get started with iTunes for Windows - Apple Support

Let me know if that helps.

Take care.

The song ****** cannot be played because you are not signed into Apple Music. - iTunes 12.10.5 (up to date as of posting)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.