Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 7 battery issues ios 13.4, siri 100% usage

Hi, I'm a long time iPhone uses since iphone 3Gs. Now on the Iphone 11 which it great. I recently gave my son my old Iphone 7. Basically it was wiped. Added a child account. afterwards I didnt do much with it for at least a week. I updated to ios 13.4, but I didnt have a sim yet. When I got the sim then I really started looking at the phone and if it was still working fine. I have had issues with the battery life before after updating. but this time it tends to stick with ios 13.4. I have had the battery changed in 12/2008 and the battery health is now 94% (so peak performance capable).

The first day I gave my boy the phone he didnt do anything with it. I charged it in the evening till 20:29 and just left it unplugged. In the morning it was down to 23%. i then started reading different forums about issues with ios 13.4 and steps to undertake. first one was an advice that is normal with a major update. To him I can say to **** with normal 77% drain in one night (approx. 12 hours) evening is not normal.

The standard advice Apple gives is backup the phone, reset the phone. So I did. Even though the phone was practically empty, with only one non apple app on it.

Things did seem better. it went down from 77% drain to 20% drain in one night (approx. 12 hours)

but during the day. I told my son to keep an eye on the phone. He only used the phone for 10 minutes to watch an youtube video. After that he checked it once of twice to see how the battery was holding. So after (approx. 16 hours) it was down to 50%. Afterwards we left it there and starting watching a movie on the apple tv. Around bedtime I checked the phone again and it was dead. Battery empty. This is within 24 hours doing almost nothing.

What I did notice was that Siri was doing something 100% the whole time during approx. the last 50%.

I checked the settings and Siri was only on for suggestions. So i'm not sure what Siri is up to. Anyone have an idea? How can I fix this? I have turned of Suggestions and put the phone on charge again. So will have to see if this occurs again. Is this a siri, ios 13.4 bug? or part of a larger battery drain issue people are talking about on this forum? Hope someone can help. and thanks in advance.

iPhone 7

Posted on Apr 4, 2020 2:06 PM

Similar questions

19 replies

Apr 5, 2020 3:45 AM in response to shah2

[Update] Iphone 7 battery issues ios 13.4, siri 100% usage.

Did a recharge yesterday and this morning in just under 12 hours of idle time. battery was down 67%. Yet again Siri was doing something.

All Siri settings were turned off via the settings menu.

Anyone have a clue whats going on? hopefully its a software bug and Apple can fix it asap. Thanks!

Apr 7, 2020 1:02 PM in response to shah2

[Update] Iphone 7 battery issues ios 13.4

Siri 100% usage NOT seeing this anymore.

As posted this morning. 100% to 99% with flight mode on and low power mode on. (idle use) after approx. 18 hours.

After turning low power mode off but flight mode still on. after approx. 12 hours it went from 99% to 95% which I consider normal (idle use). But still not really a usable phone without cellular and data network. Funny side note is that on the iphone 7 Bluetooth stays on when in flight mode and on my Iphone 11 it turns off (both are on ios 13.4)

I have the iphone 7 128GB A1778 (which I found has the intel LTE modem) if you want to find your exact model go to Settings > General > About > next to the Model Number you'll see something with MWMxxxxx if your tab on it you'll see the A number.

Intel LTE modems are A1778, A1784 and Qualcomm LTE modem A1660, A1661. (as found on the internet)

Next up. i'm going to recharge the phone to 100% and then turn flight mode off so that all functions are working. But turn off 4G (LTE) and keep WiFi on. lets see how that goes. Side note I do not use Wi-Fi Assist in the Mobile Data section (Settings).

In the meantime could people respond, who are having battery drain issues with ios 13.4 and leave their iPhone 7 model number as a reply? Thanks!

Apr 8, 2020 1:07 PM in response to shah2

[Update] Iphone 7 battery issues ios 13.4.

Ok so i'm updating my iphone 7 at the moment. So just wanted to post my final results.

Next up. i'm going to recharge the phone to 100% and then turn flight mode off so that all functions are working. But turned off 4G (LTE) and keep WiFi on. lets see how that goes. Side note I do not use Wi-Fi Assist in the Mobile Data section (Settings).

During the night after again approx. 12 hours only lost 1% again of battery life. With most settings on (wifi, bluetooth, background refresh etc) except 4G data off.

During the day I set 4G on again and voila. Battery drain started again. after approx. 12 hours. battery dropped 70%

This was with WiFi on.

Sure to say the issue is with iOS 13.4 and the Intel 4G LTE data modem connection. Apparently a bug that mostly hit the A1778 model. but I have seen such behavior before. So be careful with new major releases it might be buggy with this model.

Solution: update to iOS 13.4.1, thanks Apple!

Apr 8, 2020 11:08 PM in response to shah2

[Update] Iphone 7 battery issues ios 13.4.1

I spoke too soon. I still have a battery drain issue with iOS 13.4.1 last night charged it to 95% this morning was down to 49%.

being idle all night 46% in approx. 9 hours.

I have restarted the phone. hopefully that will be the last thing needed to be done. Will do a full recharge and then see how it goes from there. if not succesfull I will start a new discussion.

Apr 30, 2020 9:01 AM in response to alphamanusa

Hello,

I have in my iphone7 version 13.4.1 and it has the same battery issue as with version 13.4, less frequently but it's there.

Battery health is 89%

During the night it drains without any use as can be seen.

I already made a factory default and restore an upgrade without any visible improvement.

The last thing that still left to do is to factory reset and install all manually.

I'm waiting for the new update (13.4.5?) if it will fix this issue.

./mario

Apr 7, 2020 2:16 AM in response to shah2

[Update] Iphone 7 battery issues ios 13.4, siri 100% usage.

Contacted Apple support via chat. Couldn’t find anything wrong. Did do a scan of the phone.

Agreed to do some testing. With flight mode on and low power mode on.

Preliminary results: after approx. 18 hours went down only 1% from 100%.

Have now turned off low power mode to see how fast it will drain now with flight mode still on. Hopefully it will help pinpoint the issue. I will update after 12 hours with screenshots.

Apr 30, 2020 7:13 AM in response to shah2

Hello... I am having this same exact problem with 2 of my XR's. So I noticed one was dying within a few hours and noticed Siri using 99% of the battery. I turned Siri off, restarted it. cleaned my cache, cookies, reset network settings, removed the Apple ID and add it back in, reset the phone to factory settings and now run it in low power mode. When I removed the Apple ID and added it back in I selected to keep all contacts, calendar, and notes on the phone and iCloud. It took out of iCloud every appointment I have ever made with this phone. If its not in low power mode it tells me another program is using 45-60% of the battery, in low power mode it says photos are using 60% of the battery. Its a work phone, I do not play with it at all. Ive had the same exact settings for 16 months since I have had it. Only thing Ive done is the updates. Its running 13.4.1 (17E262)

Wont even begin to update my 11pro personal one yet.

Please help. I have called apple 3x waiting on a call back now. It is not something I have done or changed on the phones.

May 4, 2020 5:33 PM in response to shah2

I have a very similar issue. I did the same things. Then I went through every app and turned off every reference to Siri. No change. Then I turned Siri off altogether. Siri is still up to something. I called Apple. They preteneded to be unaware of this issue. On a subsequent call, Apple admitted they knew about the problem, and said they were working on a fix. I don't believe them.

Now I am having new problems. iOS stalls/freezes with Contacts. I am rebooting the phone once a day to get it to behave.

Is it possible that Apple is developing evesdropping software that uses Siri as its ears? Is something surrupticious going on that we don't know abut?

Why would apple release such a buggy update? Why issue and update to use these robust features, only to find that it kills the phone's battery?

Too many questions. Apple needs to pay attention. We have spent too much money on these devices to have to go through all this.

Iphone 7 battery issues ios 13.4, siri 100% usage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.