Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Constant coreaudiod crashes

I recently upgraded to a new 16 inch mbp and Catalina. Ever since, coreaudiod is constantly crashing and causing audio issues for me. I have no external drivers, and (usually) no external devices, and it still happens every few minutes. If and when I do have an external device, it's simply headphones plugged into the headphone jack. When coreaudiod goes it, it causes my computer to hang momentarily, and then the audio to drop out. If I check the logs, I see this:

coreaudiod  Received Boot notification. Enumeration already complete: 1

So, it appears that something is telling coreaudiod to restart, but I can't figure out what, and it's driving me crazy. Interestingly, it seems to happen most frequently when switching between applications, but it isn't limited to that.

MacBook

Posted on Apr 4, 2020 2:51 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Apr 4, 2020 8:44 PM in response to jscheel

What third-party software might you be running the uses coreaudio, for example, Boom3D. When it does crash use Activity Monitor to find out what process crashed that used coreaudio.

Using Activity Monitor

Use Activity Monitor on your Mac

Runaway applications can shorten battery runtime, affect performance, and increase heat and fan activity.

Using Activity Monitor Part 1- CPU and Memory

Using Activity Monitor Part 2- Energy, Disk, and Network

Apr 7, 2020 4:37 PM in response to Kappy

It's technically not crashing, something is telling the coreaudio daemon to restart. No applications crashed, and there isn't anything helpful in any logs, other than seeing that coreaudiod restarts. When it restarts, it has to enumerate the input and output devices again, and at that point, it's a crapshoot as to whether any applications running actually handle these device changes properly.

Apr 16, 2020 6:42 AM in response to jscheel

Hello,

I've somehow the same incredibly annoying issue.

Coreaudio keeps restarting (or crashing) I could not identify it, at some point in time.

Sometimes it happens when the CPU is overloaded or when switching screens. When it starts to switch ON/OFF the only thing to do is to kill coreaudiod within Activity Monitor. Then the issue temporarily stop, restarting randomly after a while.

It looks like there's no 3rd party software which may cause the issue, and I do have another user with ZERO software installed and it still gives the same problems.

Do you have any clues (apart a possible hardware issue)?

Kr

Antonio

May 6, 2020 12:15 PM in response to jscheel

Hi jscheel,

I am having likely same problem as you. Also discovered following message in logs as first message when the drop out happen. Have you had any luck of identifying whats going on? Interestingly I have macbook pro 13 2018. When googling this error message I found only you having that problem.

Btw do you use VirtualBox? Thats currently my main suspect. Tried to properly uninstall it and will see if that makes difference.

coreaudiod  Received Boot notification. Enumeration already complete: 1

Jun 4, 2020 4:12 PM in response to jscheel

After upgraded to Catalina, I have the exact same issue. The coreaudiod keeps restarting and restarting and restarting. I tried the SMC reset. It's no use and very disturbing!

I am using the 2019 Macbook air, and it becomes much more easily laggy after I upgraded to Catalina.

Also, Safari tends to consume a high percentage of CPU, which sometimes lead to laggy situation and make the coreaudiod keep restarting.

None of these issues happened before the upgrade.

I am a Mac device user for more than a decade. I think that Catalina is the OS with the worst performance.

Jun 29, 2020 3:19 PM in response to bubblycoke

I had a suspicion that this was related to Zoom. After uninstalling zoom I have had no more issues. I have had several versions of zoom and in spite of upgrades this was going on.

In the Console I looked at the system log, searching for coreaudiod showed frequent

Jun 29 09:59:20 <removed-macbook-name> com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.audio.coreaudiod[70701]): Service exited due to SIGABRT
Jun 29 09:59:20 <removed-macbook-name>  com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.audio.coreaudiod): Service only ran for 1 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 9 seconds.

Constant coreaudiod crashes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.