Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

problem with Apple Mail signature no longer supporting icon hyperlinks

I've always added my social media icons at the end of all my Apple emails within the signature. Anyone who received an email from me could click on one of the icons and would be redirected to the instagram, Twitter or Linked-in page. Yesterday, I updated these icons (they were outdate logos) but now the hyperlinks do not work. When one now receives an email from me, when they click on the icon, the image will just open in Preview. What have Apple changed since I last set this up?

Previously I dragged the icon into the 'signature' preference, highlighted it and then went into 'Tools' and 'added URL' - easy!!! - this no longer works. Can anyone help? please!!!!!!

Posted on Apr 4, 2020 4:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2020 4:04 AM

FWIW, you are correct. It's no longer possible to create a clickable link in an image, within a signature. It's still possible to do while composing an email. Of course that can be tedious. I don't know if it is a purposeful change by Apple or a bug.

You can send them feedback: Feedback - macOS - Apple

8 replies

Apr 7, 2020 2:14 PM in response to stevefromlo

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities, stevefromlo!

It sounds like you're having an issue adding links to your signature in Mail. I recommend checking out this article to Create and use email signatures in Mail on Mac. Check out these steps specifically:

"You can use the Edit or Format menus in Mail to change the font or layout, turn text into links, or check spelling. To add an image, drag it into the preview area."

If you continue to have an issue adding a link to your signature, I recommend taking a look at this article with steps to follow for How to use safe mode on your Mac. This will perform checks and stop certain software from starting up automatically. Once you are in safe mode, test to see if you have the same issue.

Let me know the results and have a wonderful day!

Apr 8, 2020 3:56 AM in response to MoonJ.

Hi

thanks for the reply. I have no trouble adding clickable links to signatures.

I get the problem when I try to add a clickable link to an icon.

for instance, when I drag an Instagram Logo into the edit panel (after making sure that it is the correct size) I am unable to select it so cannot proceed to ‘add URL’

this used to be very easy and I have had no problems with this before

I tried this on several of my Macs and am having the same problem.

best wishes

Apr 8, 2020 6:43 AM in response to stevefromlo

If you follow the detailed, systematic information in this How to Make an HTML Signature in Apple Mail for macOS Catalina 10.15 — and the problem you report remains, then send the feedback.

In the comments section of that linked article, it is not recommended to use Google Drive for links to images as Google changes their link structure, and breaks the image linkage. Also, another comment indicated that these instructions were followed 7 days ago and worked.

problem with Apple Mail signature no longer supporting icon hyperlinks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.