Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphotos update

The App Store icon on the dashboard shows there's a pending update. When I click on Update for Iphotos I immediately get a message that says: iPhoto cannot be updated because it was refunded or purchased with a different Apple ID.

This means I am unable to update my iphotos. I don't understand, because I have never had a different Apple ID and anyway doesn't Iphotos simply come with the Macair, Iphone and Ipad - all purchased at different times over the last decade or so?

This MacAir was bought in February 2020, but the same message keeps appearing and the number one in red on the App store icon in the dashboard is a constant I have to live with!

Posted on Apr 5, 2020 12:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2020 11:42 PM

There are two different photo applications on your Mac:

• iPhoto: iPhoto has been sold as part of the iLife bundles or preinstalled on alder Macs. The development of iPhoto has been stopped in 2015, the last version is iPhoto 9.6.1. Older versions of iPhoto, purchased an installer CDs and not from the App Store can no longer be updated. The misleading, cryptic error message is indicating that you are seeing the update alert for a version that has not been installed from the AppStore and cannot be updated from the App Store. iPhoto 9.6.1 can still run on on your current system, and also on newer systems, up to macOS 10.14.6, but is yesterdays's snow on macOS 10.15. It is time to switch to the Photos.app.
  • Photos: Photos is the successor to iPhoto and comes preinstalled by the system. It can open your old iPhoto Libraries. See:

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2020 11:42 PM in response to rosinkafromkolkata

There are two different photo applications on your Mac:

• iPhoto: iPhoto has been sold as part of the iLife bundles or preinstalled on alder Macs. The development of iPhoto has been stopped in 2015, the last version is iPhoto 9.6.1. Older versions of iPhoto, purchased an installer CDs and not from the App Store can no longer be updated. The misleading, cryptic error message is indicating that you are seeing the update alert for a version that has not been installed from the AppStore and cannot be updated from the App Store. iPhoto 9.6.1 can still run on on your current system, and also on newer systems, up to macOS 10.14.6, but is yesterdays's snow on macOS 10.15. It is time to switch to the Photos.app.
  • Photos: Photos is the successor to iPhoto and comes preinstalled by the system. It can open your old iPhoto Libraries. See:

Apr 5, 2020 10:56 PM in response to Yer_Man

I'm sorry - I'm not sure what you mean. It is on the Macair, in the sense that it's there on the dashboard as usual - the icon - not on any attached disk. But I think it runs on icloud as it is shared across my phone (iphone 7) and ipad (very old). I can't remember when it was first installed, on which device, and how - it was so long ago.

And yes, in fact I just updated the MacAir to the latest version of Catalina.

iphotos update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.