Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos are not deleted from Photos, no matter what I do

Hello,

I'm a pretty advanced user of Apple's devices, but I came across a rather strange problem which I can't solve no matter what I do: I can't delete photos from Photos App on my MacBook Pro - when I'm trying to delete chosen photos (in any possible way), dialog box opens asking me "Are you sure you want to delete this item?" - I click "Delete", but nothing happens - the photo(s) that I wanted to delete still there!

The problem started right after I migrated from my previous MacBook Pro to the new one (in July 2019).

Now use the latest macOS Catalina (Version 10.15.4), but the problem remains despite all the updates and although I have already tried everything possible to try...

I would very much appreciate if someone has a solution for this problem.

Thanks in advance!

Eddie

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 5, 2020 4:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2020 6:25 AM

Which album are you viewing when you are trying to delete the photos, Eddie? In Recents or Imports the photos may still be in use directly after importing them. Then the "Delete" is sometimes hanging.

although I have already tried everything possible to try...

It is hard to suggest something new, if we do not know what you already have tried.

Can you give us some details? Are you using iCloud Photos Library or My Foto Stream?

Where is your Photos Library stored? In your Pictures folder or on an external volume?

Have you checked, if the problem with deleting only happens in your current Photos Library or in any library? If not, you may want to test, if the problem is restricted to your current Photos Library. Create a new library in your Pictures folder, import a few test photos and try to delete them. Does it work, if yes, your current library has probably a corruption or is in an unsupported location.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2020 6:25 AM in response to ego707

Which album are you viewing when you are trying to delete the photos, Eddie? In Recents or Imports the photos may still be in use directly after importing them. Then the "Delete" is sometimes hanging.

although I have already tried everything possible to try...

It is hard to suggest something new, if we do not know what you already have tried.

Can you give us some details? Are you using iCloud Photos Library or My Foto Stream?

Where is your Photos Library stored? In your Pictures folder or on an external volume?

Have you checked, if the problem with deleting only happens in your current Photos Library or in any library? If not, you may want to test, if the problem is restricted to your current Photos Library. Create a new library in your Pictures folder, import a few test photos and try to delete them. Does it work, if yes, your current library has probably a corruption or is in an unsupported location.

Apr 5, 2020 8:48 AM in response to léonie

Hello Leonie and thanks for quick reply!

I'm Viewing the main Photos Library. The problem exists from the beginning (i.e. about 7-8 months), so there is nothing that can be in use such a long period (taken into account that the MacBook was restarted for updates, etc.).

I tried to delete using the "delete" key ; "Image --> Delete Photo" ; "Right mouse click --> Delete Photo".

The confirmation window appears on the screen (see below) --> I confirm by clicking on the "Delete" key and... Nothing happens! - The photo/s still there!

I'm not using iCloud Photos Library nor My Foto Stream. All the photos stored in the "Photos Library", in the "Pictures" folder, on my MacBook Pro.

I'll try now the last advise from your reply.

Thanks!

Eddie

Apr 5, 2020 8:55 AM in response to léonie

Hi again!

So strange... I renamed the "Photos Library" library to "Photos Library 1" and voila! There it is - I could delete photos now! Then I tried to rename it back to "Photos Library" and the problem returned - I couldn't delete again...

Can you explain this? Why when the name of the library is Photos Library the photos are not deleted?

Thanks! ))

Regards,

Eddie

Apr 5, 2020 8:56 AM in response to ego707

Eddie, the message you get, when you delete the photo suggests, that My Photo Stream has become enabled, as My Photo Stream is especially listed in the message. You may want to check the Photos > Preferences > iCloud, when viewing your main library, just to be sure.

If My Photo Stream were enabled, it would explain, why you cannot delete photos from All Photos, because "All Photos" is including the My Photo Stream photos.

Photos are not deleted from Photos, no matter what I do

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.