Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing Apple ID

My current Apple ID is my old work email address. I just retired a week ago. I have a personal email account on Yahoo but that email is used for notifications. When I try to change my Apple ID (old work email) to my personal email (Yahoo) it says I am not able to use the same email address for both. Do I have to set up a 2nd personal email account in order to change my Apple ID? I prefer not to create another email just for the purpose of managing my Apple account. Thanks.

iPhone 11, 13

Posted on Apr 5, 2020 9:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2020 10:31 AM

it sounds like you have two Apple IDs, a third-party Apple ID--name@yahoo.com and an Apple-related Apple ID, specifically name@iCloud.com, name@me.com, or name@mac.com. If so, you can't merge Apple IDs by changing an Apple ID. You should be able to use either type to sign into any site requiring an Apple ID on any device.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2020 10:31 AM in response to Trooper222

it sounds like you have two Apple IDs, a third-party Apple ID--name@yahoo.com and an Apple-related Apple ID, specifically name@iCloud.com, name@me.com, or name@mac.com. If so, you can't merge Apple IDs by changing an Apple ID. You should be able to use either type to sign into any site requiring an Apple ID on any device.

Apr 5, 2020 10:37 AM in response to Trooper222

You can either create a 2nd personal email account to get a new address or you can remove the Yahoo address from your ID to use as the ID email address. There will be a delay before you will be able to use it as the Apple ID email address for the work account. I have seen posts that stated Apple told them there was a 30 day waiting period before the address could be used again. 

Apple ID email addresses.    

Changing Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.