Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

grandpa

How do I set up an ipad mini to work like a 'grandpad' ?

Posted on Apr 5, 2020 11:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2020 1:24 PM

If the iPad Mini is Wifi only and granpa doesn't have Wifi in the home, there is nothing she will be able to do with an iPad at all. He wouldn't be able to use a Grandpad without Wifi either. It would be possible if Grandpa had an iPhone and could use the iPhone as a hotspot to the iPad Mini. But since he doesn't, this isn't going to work for him.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2020 1:24 PM in response to hardymac

If the iPad Mini is Wifi only and granpa doesn't have Wifi in the home, there is nothing she will be able to do with an iPad at all. He wouldn't be able to use a Grandpad without Wifi either. It would be possible if Grandpa had an iPhone and could use the iPhone as a hotspot to the iPad Mini. But since he doesn't, this isn't going to work for him.

Apr 5, 2020 1:18 PM in response to hardymac

We are trying to connect granny to the rest of us using what we have. A verizon flip phone and an ipad. Smart phones are too complicated for her at 94 years old. the "Grandpad " device has 4 or 5 features: face time, tube, calls, messenger; we want to do that with an ipad mini which we already own. Is it possible to do with her lg revere 3 phone?

Apr 5, 2020 1:47 PM in response to hardymac

I honestly think your grandpa may become a bit overwhelmed by an iPad, but you would have to buy a cellular iPad and that will require paying for cellular service for the iPad. Any of the current iPad models come in either Wifi only or Wifi + Cellular.

Ps: I just researched Grandpad to see if it would be a better option for him. It would BUT it will require Wifi. Maybe the best solution for you would be to have your grandpa get Wifi set up in his house, then you get him a Grandpad, which would really be a much simpler device for him to use and for you all to be connected to.

grandpa

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.