Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bought A Stolen iPad

I took the word of this person that swore to me that there was no iCloud lock on this mini iPad he desperately was trying to sell. (Red flag #1)

The ipad was dead and had no juice so I gave the guy $20 what seemed to be an ok gamble providing he was not being truthful about the iPad. Turned out he was infact dishonest with me And inherited what appears to be a stolen iPad.

My question is , apple can not release the owners info because i would like to find a way to somehow get a message to the owner and return their iPad to them.

any suggestions?

iPad mini Wi-Fi

Posted on Apr 5, 2020 12:34 PM

4 replies

Apr 6, 2020 5:49 AM in response to LotusPilot

hmmmmm...(

I need to look up the meaning of altruism

LotusPilot wrote:

Whilst your altruism of spending your $20 with intention to find and return a stolen iPad, to the original owner may be commendable, the reality is that (a) you’re not going to be able to identify that owner and (b) you’ll not be able to bypass the Activation Lock.

The iPad is now useless - both to you or anyone else.

The most sensible way forward, when the Apple Stores reopen, is to turn it in for responsible recycling.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250001038

Apr 6, 2020 4:20 AM in response to wow3am

Whilst your altruism of spending your $20 with intention to find and return a stolen iPad, to the original owner may be commendable, the reality is that (a) you’re not going to be able to identify that owner and (b) you’ll not be able to bypass the Activation Lock.

The iPad is now useless - both to you or anyone else.

The most sensible way forward, when the Apple Stores reopen, is to turn it in for responsible recycling.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250001038

Bought A Stolen iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.