i purchased an iphone 11 on marketplace and there is a password and icloud attached to it. Im not sure if its stolen. The seller is unresponsive. How do I find the original owner?

i purchased an iphone 11 pro on marketplace and there is a password and icloud attached to it. Im not sure if its stolen. The seller is unresponsive. How do I find the original owner?

Posted on Apr 25, 2023 6:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2023 6:04 AM

There is no way you can find them.

If you are the owner or the owner has shared all information with you then to open Activation Lock:- If it is Activation locked, read here --> Turn off Activation Lock - Apple Support Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Learn how to remove a device from a previous owner's account.

If you are not the owner and do not have the Apple ID and Password then there is no way that you can get into this iPhone unless the original owner shares the Apple ID and password with you. If you are lucky you can get into this iPhone if they (owner) accidentally remove the device from their Apple ID.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2023 6:04 AM in response to dalilah18

There is no way you can find them.

If you are the owner or the owner has shared all information with you then to open Activation Lock:- If it is Activation locked, read here --> Turn off Activation Lock - Apple Support Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Learn how to remove a device from a previous owner's account.

If you are not the owner and do not have the Apple ID and Password then there is no way that you can get into this iPhone unless the original owner shares the Apple ID and password with you. If you are lucky you can get into this iPhone if they (owner) accidentally remove the device from their Apple ID.

Apr 25, 2023 7:38 AM in response to dalilah18

dalilah18 wrote:

The only other option is through apple support but I don't have a receipt of purchase. Just had to report it and hopefully there are some type of repercussions.

Sorry no, dalilah18.

You must be the original owner AND you have to show the invoice/receipt reporting Serial or IMEI number of that device. Only if you meet both requirements, you can start a request to have it unlocked by Apple using this support page:--> https://al-support.apple.com/#/additional-support

In all other circumstances, you'll get no help.

I know it's late (now), but you can take a look at this useful usertip:--> The All Too Common SAD Reality of Buying … - Apple Community

Regards and best of luck.

Giulio

Apr 25, 2023 7:25 AM in response to KiltedTim

Yeah, I figured. SMH. I already reported it. I checked the phone before I left the location I met him at and he took off as soon as I mentioned it was locked. He messaged me and tried to tell me I could take it to a phone store and they will bypass the activation lock. However, I know that's not the case. I wish I could have returned the phone to whoever it originally belonged to and expose the scum that took it.

i purchased an iphone 11 on marketplace and there is a password and icloud attached to it. Im not sure if its stolen. The seller is unresponsive. How do I find the original owner?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.