Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delay with Siri and dictation

I have tried all of the troubleshooting steps, the microphone works fine for voice memos, videos, calls, and there is no delay when I have my headphones plugged in. I’ve noticed it’s less of a consistent delay and more of a waiting for me to speak delay. So if I hold my home button to initiate Siri and say nothing, the audio line never triggers as if it were picking up outside noise. It’s not until I actually say a few words that the line starts moving as though it were picking up sound, which is very frustrating since it almost as if I have to say a couple random words before I can begin telling Siri what I actually want. Also I don’t believe it’s a connection issue as I have tried using it on multiple WiFi networks as well as cellular data, and as I stated before Siri works perfectly fine when I have my headphones plugged in.

Posted on Apr 5, 2020 1:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2020 5:07 AM

That’s not what the OP says at all. I have exactly the same problem. My mics are fine, tested and cleaned. My ‘hey Siri’ is unresponsive so I have tried holding in the Siri button. When I talk, the wave line does not pick up my voice for a few seconds and will only capture my voice a few seconds in.

there seems to be a delay in Siri picking up my voice. Why is this and how can it be resolved?

i have an iPhone X on iOS 13.3.1

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2020 5:07 AM in response to jeremy_v

That’s not what the OP says at all. I have exactly the same problem. My mics are fine, tested and cleaned. My ‘hey Siri’ is unresponsive so I have tried holding in the Siri button. When I talk, the wave line does not pick up my voice for a few seconds and will only capture my voice a few seconds in.

there seems to be a delay in Siri picking up my voice. Why is this and how can it be resolved?

i have an iPhone X on iOS 13.3.1

Apr 8, 2020 9:02 AM in response to Besmile

Hi Besmile,

Thanks for posting. If I understand your post correctly, you have a concern about Siri responsiveness. I'm glad to see if I can answer your question.

As I understand it, you press Home to invoke Siri and find the waveform at the bottom doesn't move until you speak. Is that correct? I did some testing on my own devices running different iOS versions with similar observations on all devices. The waveform at the bottom wouldn't be expected to move unless there was audio input, so this looks like the normal result.

I hope I've answered your question.

Take care.

Delay with Siri and dictation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.