Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPad - activation lock

I have an old Ipad that has not been used in a long time and I wanted to update the OS. When I tried to wipe the ipad, it is under an activation lock. The apple ID and password are completely unknown to me (this is very strange because the ipad has always been in my care). is there a way to override the activation lock?

iPad 2, iOS 9

Posted on Apr 5, 2020 1:14 PM

8 replies

Apr 5, 2020 1:19 PM in response to Gulls189

The only way to get past Activation Lock is to enter the correct Apple ID and Apple ID Password used when the iPad was set up originally. Typically, the Apple ID is your personal email address and on the Activation Lock page is a hint, which looks something like r******@gmail.com. Does that look familiar to you? It should. Once you enter the correct Apple ID, you then enter the correct Apple ID password (the one you would have used to download apps from the App Store for example. If you don't know it, as long as you know the Apple ID, you can request a password reset from Apple. If you simply cannot remember the Apple ID, your only option is to provide original proof of purchase (original purchase receipt with the iPad serial number printed on the receipt) to Apple for help. Without that, the device will be useless to you.

Here is a link to get you started with the Apple ID --> If you forgot your Apple ID - Apple Support

IPad - activation lock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.