Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving photos library to an external hard drive with old time machine backups

Can I move my photo library on to an external hard drive that has Time Machine back ups, if the harddrive is not currently set to backup my computer through time machine (as in, it's not the selected disk). Or do I need to delete the time machine back ups altogether from the hard drive before I move my photo library on to it?

TIA!

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 5, 2020 9:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2020 2:02 AM

I have heard (but cannot prove) that the problem is something to do with the security settings internal to the structure of a disk volume that has been ever been used for Time Machine backups

As far as I can tell, Mark, the "Ignore Ownership on this Volume" checkbox in the Info is a very good indicator. On a Time Machine volume it is not possible to enable this flag - the footnotes in this document say so: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

1. You can't move your library to a disk that's used for Time Machine backups.
2. If the volume isn't formatted APFS or Mac OS Extended (Journaled), or has been used for Time Machine backups but hasn't been erased, this checkbox will either not be present, or won't be selectable after unlocking. Erase and reformat the drive for this option to be available.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2020 2:02 AM in response to markwmsn

I have heard (but cannot prove) that the problem is something to do with the security settings internal to the structure of a disk volume that has been ever been used for Time Machine backups

As far as I can tell, Mark, the "Ignore Ownership on this Volume" checkbox in the Info is a very good indicator. On a Time Machine volume it is not possible to enable this flag - the footnotes in this document say so: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

1. You can't move your library to a disk that's used for Time Machine backups.
2. If the volume isn't formatted APFS or Mac OS Extended (Journaled), or has been used for Time Machine backups but hasn't been erased, this checkbox will either not be present, or won't be selectable after unlocking. Erase and reformat the drive for this option to be available.

Apr 6, 2020 9:42 PM in response to jasmineJ76

I have heard (but cannot prove) that the problem is something to do with the security settings internal to the structure of a disk volume that has been ever been used for Time Machine backups. If that is so, reformatting the volume may well clear up whatever Time Machine use does to a disk, but I don't know that just erasing the backups will do the trick.

If a separate new external drive is not feasible due to cost, space, or ports, you could try creating a separate partition for the photo library.

Moving photos library to an external hard drive with old time machine backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.