Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Chromium based apps occasionally shatter (render blue noise) on MacOS Catalina

I have a MacBook Pro 16" running MacOS Catalina 10.15.4 (19E266) and this is what occasionally happens to me. Sometimes, seemingly after the laptop wakes up from sleep, all Chromium applications (Chrome, Electron, ...) start having this ugly blue noise - surprisingly at the same time (not just one).

On the other hand it does not seem to be WebKit in general, since Safari is not affected by that.

Is it a known issue? Closing and reopening the Chrome does not help. I need to restart the computer.

MacBook Pro 16", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 6, 2020 3:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2020 9:22 AM

What I found is that switching a GPU removes is a temporary workaround. (In my case) It can be done by

Similar questions

6 replies

Apr 8, 2020 12:58 AM in response to vojtechfrompardubice

I have exactly the same issue, running on MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019, Catalina 10.15.4), chrome tends to shatter on some specific pages (Jira/Youtube/GoogleDocs). Only computer restart works for me but it comes back after a while.

Safari seem to operate fine.

In addition to that, computer sometimes crashes.

I hope there will be a fix from Apple soon, it started after the last update for me.

*Same issue was reported on Google Support.

May 12, 2020 5:18 AM in response to vojtechfrompardubice

Same issue here on my MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019), AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4 GB & Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB. Both in 10.15.3 and now 10.15.4 (19E287) and only in Chromium-based browsers like Chrome and MS Edge. Safari and Firefox are not affected.

Switching to the integrated Intel graphics with gfxCardStatus (https://gfx.io/) solves it for the time being. As does closing all GPU-intensive applications like Photoshop, Illustrator etc. so that the Mac also switches back to the integrated GPU.

Chromium based apps occasionally shatter (render blue noise) on MacOS Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.