Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Time Machine on new Mac - Inherit, or New Backup?

I transferred my files from my old Mac to my new Mac using the migration assistant... I'd like Time Machine to backup just my new computer. I don't need to backup my old computer anymore (unless the new one suddenly dies!). What are the pros and cons of creating a new backup vs. inheriting? Thanks!

MacBook Pro 16", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 6, 2020 8:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2020 8:55 AM

The Pro's and Con's are pretty clear.

If you select "Inherit Backup History" then the backup can no longer be used by the original Mac

If you select "Create New Backup" their may or may not be enough space on the drive for both backups and you end up loosing the old backup.

If you are worried about a problem with the new Mac dying or having some kind of other problem? Then the best option would be to select "Don't Back Up Now" eject and disconnect the old Time Machine backup from the new Mac. Then get and use a second external drive to backup the new Mac.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2020 8:55 AM in response to thewomandirector

The Pro's and Con's are pretty clear.

If you select "Inherit Backup History" then the backup can no longer be used by the original Mac

If you select "Create New Backup" their may or may not be enough space on the drive for both backups and you end up loosing the old backup.

If you are worried about a problem with the new Mac dying or having some kind of other problem? Then the best option would be to select "Don't Back Up Now" eject and disconnect the old Time Machine backup from the new Mac. Then get and use a second external drive to backup the new Mac.

Using Time Machine on new Mac - Inherit, or New Backup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.