Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mojave switched my user id with another user and will not allow me to change back

Mojave switched my administrative user apple id to another user and will not allow me to change back. My administrative user account shows another users Apple ID and will not permit me to change it back. In addition the iCloud preferences window is logged into this Apple ID account and even with all iCloud accounts in selected it will not allow me to sign out. In iCloud.com my Apple ID is correct.

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 6, 2020 9:39 AM

3 replies

Apr 8, 2020 4:58 PM in response to David Bivans1

Hello David,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand that the admin account on your Mac running macOS Mojave is currently signed in to another users Apple ID, and you're unable to sign out of this account. I can help provide steps to take next.

Are you able to create a new admin account for yourself following the steps in the support article below?

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

If that doesn't work, could you provide more details about what's happening? Here are some questions that would be helpful to answer:

1. Aside from information synced with iCloud, are you seeing your data or the other users data under this user account?
  2. Do you still have a separate user account for yourself on this Mac?
  3. What's happening when you try to sign out of the Apple ID? If you encounter an error, what does it say?

Cheers!

Apr 9, 2020 6:43 AM in response to brenden dv

Ended up speaking with Apple Support. Having been using Mac's for both my former company and personal on over 100 Mac's for 35 years, I had already done all they suggested over an hour interaction. Finally decided that I did not want to upgrade to Catalina because I have 100+ 32 bit programs to sort out first. I decided to try to merge my problem user content to a new clean user that I confirmed connected to iCloud seamlessly. In doing so I added the new user to the problem original user admin read/write permissions and when I rebooted into the old problem user, the problem connecting to iCloud disappeared!

Thanks for your help.

Apr 8, 2020 5:03 PM in response to David Bivans1

David Bivans1 wrote:

Mojave switched my administrative user apple id to another user and will not allow me to change back. My administrative user account shows another users Apple ID and will not permit me to change it back. In addition the iCloud preferences window is logged into this Apple ID account and even with all iCloud accounts in selected it will not allow me to sign out. In iCloud.com my Apple ID is correct.

Contact Apple for help with Apple ID account security - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204169

Contact Apple About Security Issues - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201220

mojave switched my user id with another user and will not allow me to change back

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.