Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth keeps disconnecting and reconnecting once in a while

Hi,

on my 13" MacBook Pro 2019 all of the bluetooth devices, such as mouse, keyboard, bluetooth speaker or AirPods, when connected for a while, disconnect for about 30 seconds and it reconnect after that. I wonder whether it is Catalina problem (I have latest public release), or if it could be a hardware problem, when it is getting warmer or so?

It is annoying, for example when I have online meeting and the AirPods disconnect, I do not hear anything for 10 seconds before it switches the audio to MacBook speakers, then I hear 10 seconds audio via the speakers, then the AirPods are reconnecting again and I hear nothing for another 10 seconds. After that the AirPods works fine. This happens every once in a while, maybe once per hour or once per two hours of working on the laptop. The same is happening with all the bluetooth devices at the same time, so while I am not hearing anything, my mouse does not work and my keyboard does not work as well. I still can use touchpad and the MBP keyboard, but it is really annoying to switch for 30 sec or so.

Any help or advice on that?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 6, 2020 9:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2020 6:12 AM

Hey!

Thanks, it seems like this article helped. Looks like removing potentially corrupted files was the solution. I did reset the bluetooth module as well just because I could. I will put the steps, more details is on the link that larakueski sent.

Remove potentially corrupted files

Step 1: Open Finder on your Mac and click on the “Go” menu in Menu Bar, then click on “Go to Folder…”

Step 2: In the Go to Folder window that opens up, type in or paste /Library/Preferences and then click on the blue “Go” button.

Step 3: In the new Finder window that opens, locate the com.apple.Bluetooth.plist file, right click on it, and select “Move to Trash.”

Step 4: Open the “Go” menu in the Menu Bar once again, and just like before, click on the “Go to Folder” option again.

Step 5: In the Go to Folder window, delete any text in the text field and type in or paste ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost into the text field and click on the blue “Go” button.

Step 6: When the Finder window opens, locate the com.apple.Bluetooth.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxfile, right click on it, and select “Move to Trash.”

Note: This file starts with com.apple.Bluetooth, and the rest of the file will have a random mix of numbers and letters, which is different for everybody. Don’t worry if the seemingly endless list of files looks intimidating – there’s should only be one com.apple.Bluetooth file here, so just find it and delete it.

Step 7: Now reboot your Mac and your operating system will automatically generate new Bluetooth files when you turn Bluetooth off and on again.

Reset your Mac’s Bluetooth Module

Step 1: Hold down the Shift (⇧) key and the Option key and click on the Bluetooth menu in your Menu Bar on your Mac.

Step 2: Go to Debug > Remove all devices and click on it to disconnect from all paired Bluetooth devices.

Step 3: Now open the same menu once again and click on Debug > Reset the Bluetooth module to reset your Mac’s Bluetooth module.

Step 4: After resetting your Mac’s Bluetooth module, you can now attempt to re-pair all of your Bluetooth accessories and everything should work as expected.

Thanks!

Similar questions

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2020 6:12 AM in response to larakueski

Hey!

Thanks, it seems like this article helped. Looks like removing potentially corrupted files was the solution. I did reset the bluetooth module as well just because I could. I will put the steps, more details is on the link that larakueski sent.

Remove potentially corrupted files

Step 1: Open Finder on your Mac and click on the “Go” menu in Menu Bar, then click on “Go to Folder…”

Step 2: In the Go to Folder window that opens up, type in or paste /Library/Preferences and then click on the blue “Go” button.

Step 3: In the new Finder window that opens, locate the com.apple.Bluetooth.plist file, right click on it, and select “Move to Trash.”

Step 4: Open the “Go” menu in the Menu Bar once again, and just like before, click on the “Go to Folder” option again.

Step 5: In the Go to Folder window, delete any text in the text field and type in or paste ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost into the text field and click on the blue “Go” button.

Step 6: When the Finder window opens, locate the com.apple.Bluetooth.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxfile, right click on it, and select “Move to Trash.”

Note: This file starts with com.apple.Bluetooth, and the rest of the file will have a random mix of numbers and letters, which is different for everybody. Don’t worry if the seemingly endless list of files looks intimidating – there’s should only be one com.apple.Bluetooth file here, so just find it and delete it.

Step 7: Now reboot your Mac and your operating system will automatically generate new Bluetooth files when you turn Bluetooth off and on again.

Reset your Mac’s Bluetooth Module

Step 1: Hold down the Shift (⇧) key and the Option key and click on the Bluetooth menu in your Menu Bar on your Mac.

Step 2: Go to Debug > Remove all devices and click on it to disconnect from all paired Bluetooth devices.

Step 3: Now open the same menu once again and click on Debug > Reset the Bluetooth module to reset your Mac’s Bluetooth module.

Step 4: After resetting your Mac’s Bluetooth module, you can now attempt to re-pair all of your Bluetooth accessories and everything should work as expected.

Thanks!

May 6, 2020 8:06 AM in response to brenden dv

Hello,

So over past month or so I tried all the suggestions you have offered, but it does not seem to help. The bluetooth is still disconnecting from time to time, even when I run only on Ethernet with Wi-Fi disabled on my laptop. Could that be a hardware problem?

Thanks anyway for your suggestions.

Kind Regards.

Jun 6, 2020 7:34 PM in response to Bluestripe1

Hey folks. I just had a slightly different case (in my case, not all the devices disconnected at the same time, but it did happen more frequently). I tried resetting the Bluetooth module, as explained here:

https://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/02/01/experiencing-bluetooth-problems-on-your-mac-try-this/#:~:text=To%20reset%20your%20Mac's%20Bluetooth,from%20all%20paired%20Bluetooth%20devices.

And it seems to be helping so far (it's been a couple of hours).

Jul 17, 2020 7:01 AM in response to trouba

Hi, your issue is exactly the same as mine, and my model is MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2019, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports). I've also tried all methods and even reinstall mac os, but none of them works. The frequency of the problem is very random, sometimes more than once a day, and sometimes only happen evey few days. Really annoying!!!

I think it's definetly a hardware issue and I've booked an appointment with apple next week.

10.15.6 was released just now, I'm going to update but I dont think the problem will be solved.

Apr 8, 2020 4:52 PM in response to trouba

Hello trouba,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand from the information you provided that all the Bluetooth devices connected to your MacBook Pro are disconnecting at the same time; I'd like to help.

The following support article provides some troubleshooting steps to try for this behavior:

Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference - Apple Support

If none of these steps help, try disconnecting any devices that are physically connected to your Mac, like hard drives. Then reset the SMC and the NVRAM on your Mac:

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

To further isolate this issue, try disconnecting from Wi-Fi. If you have the option to connect to Ethernet you can do that, and see if the same issues continues when not connected to Wi-Fi.

Manage the Wi-Fi connection on your Mac - Apple Support

Hope this helps.

Best Regards.

Jul 17, 2020 2:15 AM in response to chihming01

Frustrating issue.... I actually have returned my mac as it kept shutting down randomly so now have exchanged it for the latest model which does not have this issue. I had the macbook pro prior to the 2019 model and now have the latest one and both do not have this issue but the 2019 macbook kept disconnecting so I can only assume it has something to do with this model....would suggest going to a mac store to get help.

Jul 17, 2020 6:19 AM in response to chihming01

Hi, It actually looked like it was solved, it was not happening for couple of days after the methods I used, but is started again and continues to disconnect from time to time again. Guess the issue is with the hardware. I will wait for the public release of Big Sur though, when I will restore the mac to factory settings and install the new OS and see if it will still be the issue afterwards. Will let you know if it works for me or if I will take it to repair. Cheers

Aug 6, 2020 5:34 PM in response to chihming01

If your laptop is less than 2 years (You can request legally a replacement macbook under Australian consumer law) old I would highly recommend that the mac is then replaced based on the fact by law it it not performing that way it is intended and it is the legal responsibility of a company to provide a product that works as intended & you have the right to a full refund or replacement at your request. If it is outside 2 years I would still pursue a fix.

Aug 18, 2020 8:42 PM in response to trouba

My 2019 13 inch MacBook Pro has the same - the same! - Bluetooth device disconnection problem. It is impossible to use my JBL headset or even a Logitech mouse.

My MBP is still under warranty, but I'm part of the COVID-19 risk group and I can't leave my house to repair it (is there a repair?). This is really annoying and unacceptable for a premium quality product (at least the price tag is).

Aug 26, 2020 3:08 PM in response to trouba

Same issue for me, on a MBP 2018 running 10.14.6 (Mojave). I was planning on upgrading to Catalina but I see that people using this version also experience the issue...

I've noted that for me the issue only happens when my mac is docked (lid closed and connected to an external monitor). I don't think i've ever had the issue when the mac is not closed.

This is super annoying... I haven't tried the steps reported by several users... I will try that soon and will post an update.

Bluetooth keeps disconnecting and reconnecting once in a while

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.