Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Annoying constant still picture

Hi there,

I have an issue on my MacBook Air. A picture of Safari update keeps appearing on my desktop! I cannot see anything behind it!

Plus, the top bar, which appears when any app is in use, stopped showing up! which is weird! Hence, I became not able to shut down or restart my laptop, and I can't zoom in neither out the browser of google chrome when I need it to be hidden to work on another app. Moreover the other apps still have no top bars for home Apple tasks! The top black apple at the corner disappeared as well!

What is wrong? how to fix such a problem?

Thank you in advance.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 6, 2020 1:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2020 9:02 PM

For now keep using the Mac in Safe Mode.

Certain functions do not work in Safe Mode. If you must restart normally, don't click the OK button in that "Completed" window quite yet. I don't know what it is, and you should not proceed with the installation of something unless it is expected, and you are certain you want to install it.

It is not a Safari window. It is merely the Safari icon, which is commonly used by malicious software to convince you it is legitimate. It means nothing in itself.

In an effort to identify what may be attempting to install, please open System Preferences > Users & Groups. Your User Account will be selected already. Click Login Items. Are any Login Items shown?

Login Items are explained in Open items automatically when you log in on Mac.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2020 9:02 PM in response to mohjah

For now keep using the Mac in Safe Mode.

Certain functions do not work in Safe Mode. If you must restart normally, don't click the OK button in that "Completed" window quite yet. I don't know what it is, and you should not proceed with the installation of something unless it is expected, and you are certain you want to install it.

It is not a Safari window. It is merely the Safari icon, which is commonly used by malicious software to convince you it is legitimate. It means nothing in itself.

In an effort to identify what may be attempting to install, please open System Preferences > Users & Groups. Your User Account will be selected already. Click Login Items. Are any Login Items shown?

Login Items are explained in Open items automatically when you log in on Mac.

Apr 10, 2020 11:26 AM in response to mohjah

Since you posted your last reply I have reason to believe the "installer" process shown in your initial screenshot is caused by something called "ValueKnow". You may find an app by that name in your Mac's Applications folder, or a Safari Extension, or both. If you do, uninstall or remove them respectively.

"ValueKnow" and things of its ilk (such as "Safe Finder" among countless others) is an example of adware, a broad category of malware that may have leveraged a phony "Adobe Flash Player update" to deceive you into installing it.

To learn how to recognize and avoid those threats please read:

How to install adware

Beware bogus Adobe Flash "installers"

Effective defenses against malware and other threats

Apr 6, 2020 8:28 PM in response to John Galt

Thank you for your response,

when I restart it as usual, the safari picture seems to appear at the same place as shown, make it hard to access the icon on the desktop behind it:

and when I used the safe mood method,

the Safari picture disappeared!

I have no idea what to do next! your assistance is highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Annoying constant still picture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.