Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

8TB Drive just formatted shows 1.49 GB used?

I just formatted an 8TB Seagate USB drive with 8TB capacity.

I formatted the drive as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

When I Get Info on the newly formatted empty 8TB drive, it shows 1.49 GB used.

If I reveal the hidden folders in the Finder, I can see two folders, whose sizes are much less than the "Used" space shown above.

What is taking up 1.49 Gb of space on this blank, newly formatted drive?

Posted on Apr 6, 2020 2:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2020 4:32 PM

Metadata.

That is to say, macOS needs to use some storage to keep track of all your files, what storage your files are using, the time stamps, permissions, ownership, etc... and it needs to build a list of all unused blocks so that when it gives storage to a file, it can give storage it is not currently using for another file.

There is going to be a metadata transaction journal where macOS will write out information about metadata changes it is making, and if the system crashes in the middle of a metadata update, it will replay the journal and either apply to completion a metadata change, or it will roll it back to a safe point.

All of this stuff is hidden, but absolutely necessary to operate a file system.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2020 4:32 PM in response to tfeledy

Metadata.

That is to say, macOS needs to use some storage to keep track of all your files, what storage your files are using, the time stamps, permissions, ownership, etc... and it needs to build a list of all unused blocks so that when it gives storage to a file, it can give storage it is not currently using for another file.

There is going to be a metadata transaction journal where macOS will write out information about metadata changes it is making, and if the system crashes in the middle of a metadata update, it will replay the journal and either apply to completion a metadata change, or it will roll it back to a safe point.

All of this stuff is hidden, but absolutely necessary to operate a file system.

8TB Drive just formatted shows 1.49 GB used?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.