Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ics file is greyed when trying to import event to calendar

I can download a golf club booking to my downloads folder. It comes as an ICS file.

If Idouble click it, it opens as a icalevent textedit file. I want to open it in my Calendar as a new event in its correct time slot with the title, address.

If i Try to open it by a particular application, calendar is not an option. I select open (all applications) and choose Calendar, nothing happens.

So I go to calendar>file>import. Tells me to select file. ICS file is greyed out!

Go to any help, says select the ICS file. No way of opening a greyed out file! No explanation of what to do if file is greyed.

tia

Brett

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 6, 2020 8:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2020 10:17 AM

It’s nice to meet you brutuswa,

The Apple Support Communities really appreciate this post. Based on your description, you’re having issues getting your downloaded event to import into Calendar properly. I can help.

I recommend booting into safe mode, logging in and testing to see if the issue persists. You can find the steps for safe mode located here:  Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac 

If you’re still noticing issues after safe mode, check to see if this is something that's isolated to just your user on your Mac, or if it's system-wide. Please use these steps to create a new user on your Mac: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Wishing you the best! 

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2020 10:17 AM in response to brutuswa

It’s nice to meet you brutuswa,

The Apple Support Communities really appreciate this post. Based on your description, you’re having issues getting your downloaded event to import into Calendar properly. I can help.

I recommend booting into safe mode, logging in and testing to see if the issue persists. You can find the steps for safe mode located here:  Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac 

If you’re still noticing issues after safe mode, check to see if this is something that's isolated to just your user on your Mac, or if it's system-wide. Please use these steps to create a new user on your Mac: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Wishing you the best! 

Apr 10, 2020 1:04 PM in response to brutuswa

Hey brutuswa, 

I'm glad I was able to help you isolate the issue. If the issue happens in only one account, it could be related to a login item. While it isn’t to know which one could be causing it, there is a way to test for it. To do that, please try the steps in this section "Test your login items" here: If your Mac has a blue screen or other startup problems 

As for the issue with performance, there are quite a few steps you can take to ensure that your Mac is running as efficiently as possible.  I’d like to start you off with two different troubleshooting steps for that. Software updates can improve performance so you'll definitely want to make sure that your operating system version and apps from the Mac App Store are up-to-date. The steps here will help you out with that: How to update the software on your Mac

For apps not purchased from the Mac App Store, you'll want to check with the app developer to see if an update is available. 

Another thing to review is the Activity Monitor. Check for background tasks that our consuming a high amount of CPU percentage or system memory. This article will help: See how apps affect Mac performance, battery runtime, temperature, and fan activity

Keep me posted!

Apr 10, 2020 1:50 AM in response to Teddy_B

Hi Jameson_H

Well, the opening in safe mode did not work, but using a test user account did! It worked perfectly. It downloaded the file as a calendar even instead of a text file. It automatically added it to my calendar. Great, and thank you, but the question now is... What's causing it and how to fix? I can't go changing user accounts all the time?

Is there some setting that I have made which only allows downloads as text files?

While I've got you, heh heh, font of knowledge. Lotta ppl looked at this question but you were the only one to pick it!, But while I have you, can you suggest a way, other than First Aid, in Utilities, which can diagnose any problems my mac is having. First Aid comes up clean but my mac is constantly running slow :( Even opening my Applications folder to run Disk Utility, it takes 10 seconds to open it :( Something wrong there! I used to use YASU but can't any more.

Cheers

Brett

ics file is greyed when trying to import event to calendar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.