Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The camera vibrates vigorously on my iPhone 11 pro Max

Hey everyone! This is a bit long, but I wanted to provide all of the details in hopes someone has a fix, or even apple does.

Long time apple user here, Ive had 5, 6, 6s, 8, 8plus, Xmax, and now 11 pro max.

So I know other people are having this issue, but maybe not exactly like mine.

This is my 3rd 11pro max. Yes, you read that right. The camera app (default) or any app that uses camera I have this issue.

The camera vibrates vigorously. My first 11proM, it would vibrate and I even heard crackling noises like I was at a camp fire. The second did the same thing, only worse.

This one I am so over it I don't know what to do, the camera vibrates immedietly upon being activated. It will not focus no matter the lighting. I have turned off the night mode completely. With or without flash.

When I open snapchat, before snap even loads I can feel the phone vibrating. If I'm taking a video, and zero in on something it will start to vibrate and doesn't recover until I leave the app.

Pictures from afar, look fantastic. Anything remotely close, such as taking a photo of a sheet of paper, a pen on a table, the chain on my motorcycle. It just vibrates out of control and will not stop.

The only thing I have had 25% success with is in the default camera app. When it starts to vibrate, I click on the "0.5x" zoom out, push to focus the screen and then zoom back in to "1x" which seems to be effective sometimes. What is up with this camera??

Thanks for your time,

Steven F

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 13

Posted on Apr 7, 2020 9:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2020 8:55 AM

I have the exact same thing going on with my 11proM. Camera is unusable unless in wide angle mode, and any app that relies on the camera (my mobile banking app, for depositing checks!) does not function at all. +1 for the campfire crackling noise. I also have a Motorcycle and ride with the phone mounted to the handle bars.

They have replaced the camera and the phone multiple times now, but the issue keeps coming back. Glad I am not alone in this, but man its a bit annoying!

Apple, any chance for a fix??

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2020 8:55 AM in response to FRASERS

I have the exact same thing going on with my 11proM. Camera is unusable unless in wide angle mode, and any app that relies on the camera (my mobile banking app, for depositing checks!) does not function at all. +1 for the campfire crackling noise. I also have a Motorcycle and ride with the phone mounted to the handle bars.

They have replaced the camera and the phone multiple times now, but the issue keeps coming back. Glad I am not alone in this, but man its a bit annoying!

Apple, any chance for a fix??

Apr 7, 2020 9:58 AM in response to FRASERS

I am sorry to hear of your issue. I have actually had the same issue on my iPhone 8 but it turned out that the internal stabilizer for the camera was malfunctioning. To fix it I had to take it into apple and have them replace the particular module that was malfunctioning. I would recommend when you get a chance and when the apple stores open back up, that you take the device into a genius bar to get the issue diagnosed.

This also could be an unfound manufacturing issue that has yet to be fully discovered. Again, if the issue is not software related I would recommend getting the hardware examined at a apple store.

May 23, 2020 5:41 AM in response to FRASERS

Hi,

I think we have the same problem! I posted this, maybe give it a read and see if there are any details that are different in your case?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251382562

It might have something to do with using the phone on your motorcycle, because I too own a motorcycle and put my phone in the mount on my dashboard. However, I did not have any problems up until about two weeks ago, though I’ve been using the phone in the mount on my bike for months. Please let me know if you find a solution, otherwise I’ve got time to go to the Apple store nearby (if it’s open?) next week and I’ll let you know what they say.

May 19, 2020 7:59 AM in response to FRASERS

I am so grateful to have found out that I am not the only one experiencing this issue. I am currently waiting for my second replacement.

I started to experience this problem with my first phone after mounting it on the motorcycle mirror mount.

After having it replaced, I had the same issue with the second phone on day two of having it.

It was after a week long process of trying to figure out why my original and the replacement phones had the same issue and my umpteenth conversation with a representative, we deduced that the stabilizer on the camera was the defective although the device passes a remote diagnostic test with flying colors.

The conclusion to our problem is that the stabilizer on the 11pro max is too sensitive. It is a factory defect that has not been acknowledged by Apple so far.

I would assume that this would trigger a recall, which I have never heard of them doing.

Unfortunately for us is that we would have to rely on audio directions while using gps on my motorcycle rides. I am not sure if my bicycle mount will have the same effect on the camera but I will keep you posted.

May 19, 2020 8:17 PM in response to FRASERS

I have an iPhone 6+ and this exact issue for a while. Luckily I did find a ‘hack’ tutorial, try to see if holding a little magnet on the front side of your phone stabilises it. For example, where the lens is on the back of the phone, put the magnet around the same spot on the other side where your ear would be on a phone call. Hope this helps

Aug 29, 2020 7:51 AM in response to FRASERS

I have had the same issue on my 11pro.

I have taken it to the Genius Bar 3, yes 3 times, I was told that there is a ‘floating lens’ in one of the cameras. The sound you hear is that this floating lens is stuck and trying to move.

it can be caused in ‘rare’ circumstances according to the Apple genius. But is likely caused by using it for extreme sports such as having it secured to handlebars in mountain bikes etc.

I do not use my phone in this way but had it repaired twice, and on the Third had the phone replaced under warranty.

I do attach my phone to my motorcycle handlebar, but only on the road, so maybe engine vibration travels though it and gets it stuck? But it should not cause this issue.

Oct 5, 2020 11:06 AM in response to FRASERS

Olá, tenho o mesmo problema em meu iPhone XR.

Também utilizo em um suporte para motocicletas, acredito que a vibração do motor causa esse problema no estabilizador de imagem da câmera traseira.

Meu iPhone já foi recuperado 2 vezes e substituído 2 vezes, ou seja, é um defeito ainda não descoberto pela apple.

Interessante é que nunca liguei a câmera com a motocicleta em funcionamento, o problema acontece mesmo com a câmera desligada, é um problema físico.

Infelizmente vou ter que parar de utilizar o iPhone no suporte para motocicletas.

Oct 5, 2020 11:08 AM in response to Rodrigocriativo

Hello, I have the same problem on my iPhone XR.

I also use it on a motorcycle mount, I believe that engine vibration causes this problem in the rear camera's image stabilizer.

My iPhone has already been recovered 2 times and replaced 2 times, that is, it is a defect not yet discovered by apple.

Interesting is that I never turned the camera on with the motorcycle running, the problem happens even with the camera off, it's a physical problem.

Unfortunately I will have to stop using the iPhone in the motorcycle holder.

The camera vibrates vigorously on my iPhone 11 pro Max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.