Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX - How do I replace a source clip with a new version and maintain timing, trims and effects?

A new version of a music track just came in. I want to replace the older music in my build and maintain all the edits, fades, etc. that I did with the original version.

The new source is EXACTLY the same length as the old one. I essentially want to replace the old clip in my LIBRARY with the new version, so the change ripples through my build, and I don't have to duplicate all my previous modifications by hand.

How do I do that?

Mac Pro, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 7, 2020 2:41 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Apr 8, 2020 12:43 AM in response to Jay Lender

Select the clip. Type Command-C to copy.

Replace the clip by dragging the new one on the old one (you should see a green circle with a + in it).

Select on of the Replace methods.

Type Option-Command-V to Paste Effects.

You can also select Paste Attributes (option-shift-V). Make sure everything you want copied over is selected in the list.

Apr 8, 2020 1:25 PM in response to fox_m

None of the pop-up replace methods do what I'm trying to accomplish.

Let's say that in my build I'm using seconds 10-20 of a library music track: Then I get a NEW version of the music track--same exact length, minor change. What I want to do is replace the LIBRARY clip with the new version so the edits I've made in my build are preserved, but now feature the more recent source material.

The current application is that I'm replacing watermarked Pond5 audio tracks with the purchased versions of same, and I don't want to rebuild all my edits. I've had the SAME need with video assets in the past.

FCPX - How do I replace a source clip with a new version and maintain timing, trims and effects?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.