Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can i erase and reinstall os 7 on older ipad 2

without asking, my son installed what I believe was OS 10 from OS 7 on our older iPad 2. Is there any way I can erase and reinstall OS 7 on the iPad? I’m not concerned about losing any data.

thank you in advance for your help and suggestions.

Regards,

CV

iPad 2

Posted on Apr 7, 2020 5:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2020 6:14 PM

You cannot go backwards. Apple hasn't signed iOS7 for years now and no, if you find an iPad or for that matter any device with iOS7 on it, you cannot connect your iPad to it or to a computer to downgrade.

10 replies

Apr 7, 2020 6:30 PM in response to lobsterghost1

I knew you couldn’t ‘downgrade’ but I thought perhaps it could be wiped clean of everything and re programmed. So basically I’m stuck with a painfully slow iPad 2 now!? Btw, I’m the OP. I’m also chickivow because during several moments of non-lucid thought processes, I created a new Apple ID. I’m trying to figure out how to either merge them or delete the new ID. That’s another question I recently posted. It’s what happens when you’re away from systems (laptops, desktops, iPads) for any length of time. You truly ‘lose’ it!

Any suggestions for what I can now use this iPad for?

Apr 7, 2020 6:42 PM in response to ciaochiao

If this iPad 2 is now too slow, hand it back to the culprit, and replace it with a new or new-to-you model.

There is no means of performing an iOS downgrade, as you’ve correctly been told.

Downgrading would allow security fixes to be backed out. Downgrading also requires reversing changes made to apps and files and settings made during the upgrade. One direction is tough to code and test, with support for both upgrades and downgrades yet more effort.

There are previous discussions of available refurbs, and of new-old-stock, and new purchases.

Apr 7, 2020 6:42 PM in response to ciaochiao

If I understand how the whole thing works, when you first upgrade the iOS on your device, you have a very limited amount of time to downgrade while Apple is still signing the previous iOS version. After that time, you can no longer downgrade. I’m sure Apple has their reasons why downgrading isn’t supported but I won’t venture a guess as to what that is.

If you have an iPad 2, the highest iOS that you can possibly be running is 9.3.5 unless your iPad is a WiFi + Cellular iOad in which case it can go up to iOS 9.3.6.

Apr 7, 2020 6:44 PM in response to ciaochiao

Apple didn't provide a path to go backwards to ensure you move forward and have the latest software a device can use to ensure the device has the latest vulnerability protection and to be able to use the newest services the device can use for its generation. Apple has NEVER supported downgrading iOS ever (with a very small one week window of opportunity, during the transition from one iOS version to the next version). iOS 7 hasn't been signed now for years. It was released in 2013 and replaced with iOS 8 in 2014. That was more than 6 years ago now. We are now on iPadOS 13.4.1, but your much older device is not capable of running the newest iOS versions.

can i erase and reinstall os 7 on older ipad 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.