Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook pro hangs on boot

Macbook Pro Mid 2015

Catalina 10.15.4

Mac boots to about 1/2 or 9/10th of progress bar on bootup screen (black screen with Apple logo and progress bar underneath). Then it hangs. I tried leaving it like that for about 48 hours and the progress bar wouldn't move.

1. MBP has power and is not connected to any device other than power charger.
  2. No any 3rd party software installed on it, only software that comes by installing macOS.
  3. Booting in safe mode works but it does not fix the issue.
  4. Reseting NVRAM does not fix anything.
  5. Reinstalling the latest macOS (Command+R) does not resolve issue.
  6. Reinstalling the latest macOS compatible with my MBP (using Option+Command+R) does not resolve issue.
  7. Reinstalling to macOS that came with my MBP (Shift+Option+Command+R) does not even work as the MBP shows screen with globe, then boots, then just black screen for hours.
  8. Erasing Macintosh-HD - Data and Macintosh-HD and reinstalling macOS does not resolve issue.
  9. Deleting everyting from ~/Library/Caches and emptying trash does not resolve issue.
  10. Running Apple diagnostic (Power Off then Power On and press D key) does not detect any hardware issues.
  11. I dont use time machine.
  12. Apple support ( 101059474749 and  101051859009 ) wasn't helpful either.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 7, 2020 8:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2020 8:42 PM

Try steps 2, & 5-7 in the following user tip article to see if they can help:

If not, boot back up in Safe Mode, and then, try step 8.

Similar questions

1 reply

macbook pro hangs on boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.