Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro won’t boot up

Hello,

I have a Mack book pro mid 2012, last year I updated it with 16g of Ram and replaced the HDD with a SSD then installed macOS Catalina over the internet. It worked well until about a month ago then started having issues booting up. Sometimes it would start normal other times it would open up to the prohibitory symbol or question mark or blank white page but most of the time the prohibitory symbol.

I have booted up in recovery mode and used disk utility to scan the SSD originally found no issues then second attempt it found an issue with the EFI it repaired it and said it was ok but it still does not boot normally.

I then reinstalled macOS Catalina in recovery mode and am still having the issue.

When I boot in command R and go to start up disk it does not find the SSD as a startup disk,

but when I boot in command option R and go to start up disk it sees the disk but will not restart from it.

When I boot up in safe mode I get a line of code errors.

Posted on Aug 6, 2021 12:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2021 11:50 AM

from research on the internet found that people that have upgraded to a SSD on Mac book pro mid 2012 have had this problem. I replaced the hard drive cable connected to the SSD this seems to have fixed the problem.

Similar questions

6 replies

Aug 7, 2021 7:48 AM in response to Brian1736

... and that may be because Apple has not provided any updates since then as these are not necessarily macOS related. At this point, you may want to contact Apple Support directly for further assistance with this. You can do so simply by selecting the "Get Support" link in the upper right-hand side of this forum's web page. Good luck!

MacBook Pro won’t boot up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.