Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac startup key combinations not working?

Ive tried upgrading the RAM and the SSD of my 2012 MacBook Pro, running MacOS Catalina.

When I use the SSD the only option I have is to put the computer into internet recovery mode us OPTION + COMMAND + R. After the recovery mode has load I get the prohibitory symbol and can't get to dial utility!

When I press command + R - it does nothing and tries to start up as normal.

I tried resetting the NVRAM with command + option + P+ R - again this does NOT restart the computer during startup as it's suppose to.

I tried installing Macos on a USB drive but when I press option during startup- it tries to startup as normal.

I tried all the steps above with a USB keyboard but still haven't to.

If I out in the old drive, I am able to start the computer normally. I used disk utility to erase my SSD (Macos extended journal format) and still the prohibitory symbol appears.

A lot of forums suggest resetting NVRAM to solve my issue but, as shown above, I'm not able to.

Please help, I have been trying for 3 days and desperate to fix this.

Not sure if I'm able to take this to an apple store as it's around 10 years old and I've upgraded parts myself.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 22, 2022 11:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2022 12:30 AM

The symbol means your Mac can't find a valid drive to boot from.

The fix for this is to provide a valid drive with the OS. Since you've done this, it appears the installation of the OS didn't work.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/install-mac-os-x-using-removable-usb-drive/

For a 10 year old Mac, you're throwing good money after bad. My guess is you've already spent more on it than it's worth. Time to cut your loses and get a new, or newer, Mac.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2022 12:30 AM in response to danepeterpadley

The symbol means your Mac can't find a valid drive to boot from.

The fix for this is to provide a valid drive with the OS. Since you've done this, it appears the installation of the OS didn't work.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/install-mac-os-x-using-removable-usb-drive/

For a 10 year old Mac, you're throwing good money after bad. My guess is you've already spent more on it than it's worth. Time to cut your loses and get a new, or newer, Mac.

Apr 23, 2022 1:23 PM in response to danepeterpadley

It sounds like you may have a bad SSD or the SSD is not compatible with your laptop if the SSD prevents you from booting into Internet Recovery Mode or from a bootable macOS USB installer (or even just Option Booting the laptop to access the boot picker menu). There is a chance the internal hard drive SATA Cable is bad, but I've never seen the cable cause this kind of problem of not even being able access the boot picker menu when Option Booting. However, the hard drive SATA Cable especially on the 13" model is known to have an extremely high rate of failure especially when using an SSD. OWC sells replacement cables:

https://eshop.macsales.com/search/?q=hard%20drive%20cable&filter.catidpath=3406/3410

Mac startup key combinations not working?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.