Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Option key will not work to boot into startup manager

Option key will not work to boot into startup manager. I have a Mac Pro 2012 (5,1 - 3.46 GHz-12 core running Mac OS Mojave). No matter what I try, I can't use the option key to boot into the startup manager - all I get is a black screen (I've waited over an hour) and then have to press the power button to shut down. I've tried all the suggestions from Google (resetting the PRAM - option-command-P-R), resetting the SMC - no luck. I have 4 internal SSD drives (OWC), and have also tried swapping out one of my drives for an old 'spinning' Hitachi drive - same result. I've also run First Aid from Recovery - it shows no problems. I have a Radeon RX 580 8GB metal capable graphics card. I've obviously tried with a USB keyboard.

Mac Pro

Posted on Aug 26, 2021 6:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2021 6:20 PM

Although the Radio RX580 is recommended by Apple an a popular choice it is a PC graphics card so to speak.

It does not have the Apple EFI on it to get boot screens when you start the mac up or access to the Startup Manager.

Some companies sell the RX580 'flashed for mac' or you can send the card away to get it 'flashed' this will

then allow the mac to show the boot screens and give you access to the Startup Manager.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2021 6:20 PM in response to Drawbridge

Although the Radio RX580 is recommended by Apple an a popular choice it is a PC graphics card so to speak.

It does not have the Apple EFI on it to get boot screens when you start the mac up or access to the Startup Manager.

Some companies sell the RX580 'flashed for mac' or you can send the card away to get it 'flashed' this will

then allow the mac to show the boot screens and give you access to the Startup Manager.

Option key will not work to boot into startup manager

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.