Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Time Machine backup iCloud Drive?

Does Time Machine backup iCloud Drive? I can't find any documentation on this.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 7, 2020 7:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2020 11:31 PM

Time Machine will backup iCloud Drive, as long as you have not enabled "Optimise Mac Storage". If "Optimise ..." is enabled, it will be a game of chance, which documents have been downloaded from iCloud are locally available on your computer, when Time Machine is running.

You do not need to search the hidden user library to find the files on iCloud Drive in Time Machine on macOS 10.15 Catalina.

When I want to recover a database file on iCloud Drive, I open iCloud Drive in a Finder window and open the subfolder I want, for example "Datenbanken". With this folder being the frontmost Finder window, I click the Time Machine icon in the main menu bar and Time Machine will open with this folder selected in the time tunnel.

For example: Now I can simply go back in the time line to the right, then click the Filemaker datasbase I want to recover and click "restore".

This will even work, if the item you want is not in a subfolder on iCloud Drive, at least in macOS 10.15.4. I have not tested it in an older version.Just open iCloud Drive in the frontmost Finder window, then enter time Machine from the main menu bar.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2020 11:31 PM in response to MichaelGli2

Time Machine will backup iCloud Drive, as long as you have not enabled "Optimise Mac Storage". If "Optimise ..." is enabled, it will be a game of chance, which documents have been downloaded from iCloud are locally available on your computer, when Time Machine is running.

You do not need to search the hidden user library to find the files on iCloud Drive in Time Machine on macOS 10.15 Catalina.

When I want to recover a database file on iCloud Drive, I open iCloud Drive in a Finder window and open the subfolder I want, for example "Datenbanken". With this folder being the frontmost Finder window, I click the Time Machine icon in the main menu bar and Time Machine will open with this folder selected in the time tunnel.

For example: Now I can simply go back in the time line to the right, then click the Filemaker datasbase I want to recover and click "restore".

This will even work, if the item you want is not in a subfolder on iCloud Drive, at least in macOS 10.15.4. I have not tested it in an older version.Just open iCloud Drive in the frontmost Finder window, then enter time Machine from the main menu bar.

Apr 8, 2020 2:53 AM in response to léonie

Hi Léonie and thank you for a very clear and helpful reply!

But...Ninox defies logic...

First, I cannot access the Ninox files via iCloud Drive as the files are invisible (forced by Ninox).

I can however use Option Go to get to the Library which offers

The path is Users > Name > Library > Containers > de.ninoxdb.nonox-mac.Ninox > Document > data >

However there is only one database showing (Publishing), not the one I want. What I now realise is (it seems) Ninox does not store DBs designated as Cloud in the local iCloud, but only on Apple. Here's a shot of my Ninox databases screen (messy with test dummies):

Most DBs are correctly designated as Cloud (so they can be accessed from two machines) but Publishing has been left as local and it is the only one visible in the local copy of iCloud.

So it seems Ninox bypasses local iCloud. Why is hard to imagine, but it does seem to mean I have to access the backups direct from the TimeMachine files.

Which gets me back to Ninox's cryptic instruction to access the files via Terminal.

Well, cryptic to me: I can follow instructions in Terminal but I can't solve problems like this one.

Any ideas?

Apr 7, 2020 10:21 PM in response to Ferd II

Thanks.

I'm trying to recover a Ninox (desktop version) database. The path to the data base files on the laptop is

~/Library/Containers/de.ninoxdb.ninox-mac.Ninox/Data/Documents/data

and Library appears in my TimeMachine backup, so I think it should be there.

However, the files are hidden, so while I can see them in the Desktop (using Option Go) I can't see them in Time Machine.

Ninox say the path within iCloud is

d ~/Library/Mobile\Documents/BJE6SD455T~de~ninoxdb~ninox-ios/data

but that this can only be accessed via Terminal not via Finder. This exceeds my ability.

Unfortunately Ninox help is no real help, they just keep repeating the path above and telling me they "believe" the files can be copied and pasted to restore them. Ultimately they suggest I get lost and ask Apple.

The storing of databases in hidden iCloud files is forced by Ninox, who say in turn that Apple forces them to use this approach, to enable access to the same data from both my desktop and laptop. As I have other files sitting in iCloud (and DropBox) that I can access from both machines, I'm not really convinced by this.

Certainly I don't have a solution.

Apr 12, 2020 7:03 PM in response to léonie

Hi Léonie and thank you for your continued patience guiding me through my ignorance.

The file I am trying to recover is in a TimeMachine backup on an external drive so I guessed the Terminal instruct as (not sure about the first bit):

open /TimeMachine3TB/Backups.backupdb/Michaels iMac (2)/2020-03-09-215314/MiMac/System/Library/Mobile\ Documents/BJE6SD455T~de~ninoxdb~ninox-ios/data

but this returns:

-bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('

I'm wondering if I should rename the iMac in the Time Machine backup to remove the ( and )?

Michael

Does Time Machine backup iCloud Drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.